Cold starting - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Cold starting

I am the owner of a lovely Alfa Spider 2.0 ltr T/Spark P reg Oct 1996 72,000 miles. I have owned her for 18 months without any faults. I have just started having problems when starting her from cold, She dosn't go into fast idle, if I take my foot of the accelerator pedal she stops. I have to sit with my foot on the pedal for a minute or two, then she runs at about 800 RPM. Once she warms up she runs ok. Any suggestions anyone.

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 479
County: Norfolk
Could be a "sticky" Idle Control Valve. Not sure where it's fitted on a twinnie. I'm sure someone will be along and tell you. You could try searching....
AO Member
County: Cornwall

Member car:

I am in a similar situation too but only have very low(well normal 800) revs from start up(i would imagine that it would be higher until up to temp??) and if you change into second too early it feels like you have bump started it. There is a cold start sensor that could be playing up although i don't know if this moderates fueling while the car is running for a bit before it gets up to temperature or just helps with the initital start up??? Any techies on hand to comment?

Have a look on shop4parts as they sell cold start sensors and i imagine Alternative Autos do.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

cold , starting