that stupid Meta alarm! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
that stupid Meta alarm!

I have always been unhappy that my car will sometimes lock its doors whilst I am driving along, I know some people like to have the doors locked when driving but not me. Should I have an accident I want people to get to me.

About 6 weeks ago I wanted to test the opening of the passenger's door as it had been giving problems. I reversed out of my garage, closed the diver's door, locked up the garage, went over to the passenger's door and found out I could not open it - this had been quite a long-running problem so I was not too concerned about it. Then went round to the driver's door and found I could not open that either, the car had locked the doors all by itself and was now outside my garage with the engine running and obviously with the key & alarm fob inside the car. Luckily I was at home so could get at my spare key & fob (only the key was needed to get into the car). I now carry a spare key in my wallet in readiness for the next stupid occurrence.

This morning I fitted a new electric aerial to replace the cheapo ebay one that only lasted 2 months with little use, went indoors for a coffee break, returned to the car and using the fob tried to unlock the car - the car unlocked as normal then immediately re-locked itself. After about 20 attempts it unlocked successfully. I tested that the new aerial was working OK and returned home for a wash, and then found out I was missing a screwdriver so went back to the garage to look for it and got the same problem with the car unlocking then immediately re-locking itself. When the car has been unsuccessfully opened with the fob, using the key to open the door results in the same unlocking and immediate re-locking. When unlocked with the fob the alarm itself is off, as the boot can be opened with a key without the alarm sounding.

Possibly the fault is with the central locking rather than the alarm.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I go on a driving holiday to France & Portugal next Tuesday and obviously want to lock up the car when it's not in use (this is assuming that I can get into the car before next Tuesday).
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I would get an car alarm place to take it all out (unless you can do it yourself). More trouble than its worth. GTVs are not worth nicking these days & the immobiliser will stop most attempts.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 09-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
An update.

I have been out to the car and found that I can get into the car by opening the passenger door (not easy to get to in the garage) with the key which causes both doors to unlock. Once I re-lock the car with the fob and then unlock it with the fob, I need to unlock the passenger door with the key, then all seems to be OK until I lock it again.

It doesn't matter whether I lock it with the fob or the key, I can only unlock it from the passenger door with the key. Therefore it would appear to be a central locking fault, not an alarm fault. I'll have to take it to my indie WAD when I get back from holiday.

Anyway, I assume it is the alarm that locks my car a couple of minutes after I have unlocked it if I have not opened the doors and turns the alarm back on. Why! And why does it sometimes lock my doors as I am driving along. Ridiculous!
AO Gold Member
County: Carlow
You've got a problem with the drivers door locking mechanism. Try unscrewing the door lock popper pin, and squirting a load of WD-40 down the hole. Do them both while you're at it.
It happens quite often on my 166.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

alarm , meta , stupid