Windscreen wipers stopped working... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Etela-Suomen Laani
Windscreen wipers stopped working...

Hi everyone!

A new interesting problem has occured on my GTV. The windscreen wipers worked fine at first, then worked on and off, now and then. Now they stopped working alltogether.

When I turn on the wipers, I think I hear a faint knocking sound from under the plastic where the wiper stalks come out. The frequency changes as i turn the control stalk inside the car. Something evidently happens, but not enough to move the wipers over the windscreen.

Where should I begin to look for the problem? Any ideas?

Probably something wrong with the motor or the stalks and mechanisms hidden under the plastic?

Still, driving the GTV to work in the morning puts a smile on my face every time.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Western Cape
I reckon your problem is the small circuit board that is mounted on the electric motor driving the wipers. It is normally the joints that are making a bad contact due to a combination of heat and expansion; followed by cooling down. It is easy to fix with a solder gun, once you have the electric motor removed from underneath the cover below the windscreen. Do a search on this forum, the procedure to remove the motor must be well documented. It is not always easy to see which of the joints on the circuit are causing the problem. Link the motor to a 12V source once you have removed it from the car and press on the circuit board to try and pinpoint the bad contact.
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
I reckon your problem is a poor contact also?

If you disconnect the wiper motor from the wiring loom, have a look at the spade connectors, they most likely will be grey? If so grab some emery paper and shine them up and put a taste of vaseline on both the loom & motor contacts and see if that cures?

If not you will need to remove the wiper motor assembly and check the two soldered contacts for a crack/s, if that is OK, then remove the black cylinder that covers the motor and clean the inside of the cover and magnets and also use some white spirit on the copper spool and remove the 14-15 year old dirt and dust and then reassemble and try!

If its not working after that, it may need regreased with dielectic grease on the circuit board as recommended above.

Last edited by EauRouge; 06-09-11 at 11:06. Reason: Smelling
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

I had this exact same situation when I first bought my alfa. At first I thought it was the (n14?) relay, ended up replacing it to no avail.

As above, it ended up being a broken circuit inside the motor itself, so I'd say your best bet is to just take the motor apart and resolder all the small contacts
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 06-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Etela-Suomen Laani
Problem solved! It was a soldered contact in the circuit board that had broken. Soldered it, and everything works fine. Thanks for the help.

The wipers park as they should, but when working, they do not wipe the entire windscreen. The bottom part remains unwiped. Seems to be a common problem, or is it something to be worried about, a sign of a new problem on the way? Is it possible to fix somehow? Looks a bit weird, when the wipers wipe only the top 4/5 of the window...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

stopped , windscreen , wipers , working