V6 Clutch Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 02-09-11 Thread Starter
V6 Clutch Problem

Hi guys,

some time ago I replaced DMF on my car with GTA single mass flywheel (brand new) and fitted new GTA clutch (VALEO) together with new clutch bearing.

Everything was ok and I was more than pleased with the mod. But after some time (around 500 kilometers) I could feel, mostly when the weather was hot, the pedal started to squeak and also there was a lot of friction when pressing the pedal. Also when the pedal was fully pressed to the floor, I could hear something like a light rubbing noise (connected with the engine speed) and also light vibrations in the pedal. It looked to be somehow connected to the temperature as it always appeared when jumping in a traffic jam and hot weather, and what seemed to help a bit was to rev up the engine for a few seconds so the friction and squeaking would nearly disappear for a moment. So I guess the extra air flow in the clutch housing caused by the spinning flywheel cooled the clutch mechanism down.

I though the problem would be not enough grease between the clutch bearing and the leading tube around the gearbox input shaft. I tried to put some extra grease there from the outside (through the release fork shaft bush hole) but it didn't help. So after 5,000km I took the gearbox out again expecting to find something wrong. The problem is everything seems to be in the right order (it even looked like there was enough grease there). The tube was ok (no seizure), flywheel, clutch disc, no problem there. There is a bit more resistance in the clutch bearing (but it goes smoothly) so I think I will change it. I have also noticed the pressure plate spring fingers are a bit worn out (after 5,000km!) when compared to my old clutch which was ok even after 140,000km (see attached pictures). I guess some sort of wear is common as the inner pressure plate bush (into which the clutch bearing attached to when installed) is sliding on the fingers. But not sure whether is common it would look like that after such a low mileage.

The crank axial play seems to be ok when roughly checked but obviously this would need more detail inspection.

Any thoughts? Or experience with similar issue?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch_new.jpg (60.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg clutch_old.jpg (57.2 KB, 9 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

clutch , problem