Yes, unfortunately it's starting to get ugly - the lease company's had a rethink on paying for it based on the fact that the Alfa dealer's decision that the warranty has been voided because of the fact that the first time I brought it to the dealer for the 20,000k service a year ago (which I did at 15,000k as there were things that I wanted him to look at, immobilier problems etc) they said it was a bit low on oil. Despite my telling him I've been pouring a litre in every couple of weeks since then their view is that they can't substantiate that I did that, and hence any damage that may have been caused a year ago would have resulted in the engine eventually blowing last week.
Also, they're saying that it should have been taken at 35,000km since I took it in for its first service at 15,000 instead of 20,000. I went off the leasing company's advice that they were only willing to pay for four services a year (it's a four year lease) and so was waiting till I got to 40,000k as per the logbook (it had 39,000 when the engine blew). Now despite them initially giving me this advice it's being used against me as the initial conversation with them a year ago was never documented.
So Alfa are saying that because of those two things (ie low on oil a year ago and not taken in at 35,000k) the warranty's voided, and now the lease company is saying that since Alfa's saying it was my fault they shouldn't have to pay either.
I'm certainly going to be contesting this, but do I have any recourse here or am I shafted? I was going to ask the lease company to provide me with a record of each time I've purchased oil for this car (should work out to about 26 or so for the past 12 months) to try and build my case re the oil. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place as I'm into the second year of a four-year lease (the bloody lease is supposed to be a fully maintained lease as well, so much for that) and if I refuse to pay the car will sit there and I'll continue to be charged each month, and the only way to resolve that is to buy out the lease, which will cost a fortune on top of the $13,000 for the motor.
Any advice would be appreciated!