PAS Fluid change? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 06-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
PAS Fluid change?

Hi Guys, I'm getting particular about...... the particulars!

Anyone in knowledge of fluid change? I've got a large bottle of Slick 50 in the garage and thought I would have a go, Just wondering if anyone can guide me on removing the old fluid and in with the new
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
I had a read of the bottle for slick 50 PAS fluid.. and it says 'for service re-fill'.. so wasn't sure if it was any good to completley replace PAS fluid..

So I didn't do it..

If you do do it.. and crash into a brick wall can you let me know ..Thanks

(helpful arn't I)

Last edited by seadart; 07-08-11 at 05:10.
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
This isn't likely to be too helpful but my PAS system drained all by itself - when the hose wore away against a brake pipe!

More helpfully : Manual says drain the reservoir with a syringe but nothing about the rest of the system. What I'd look at doing is to undo the hose at its join with the metal pipe directly below the brake/clutch reservoir. It's right at the base of the bulkhead. You'll see the hose that runs past the coolant header tank ( from the PAS cooler in front of the radiator ) drop down to its join with the metal pipe. This is close to being the lowest point in the system but it still wont get everything out as the metal pipe turns up to join the hose. Maybe put a very low pressure air line ( you don't want fluid spraying everywhere! ) on the hose to force the rest of the fluid through the pipe?

You'd need to remove the intake gubbins for access unless you're working from below.

The bleeding procedure on refill is fairly easy. Fill reservoir and turn the wheels lock to lock whilst topping up the reservoir as necessary.
AO Member
County: Wiltshire
iirc you detach the return pipe and put it in empty 2ltr coke bottle start the engine turning the steering wheel lock to lock, whilst filling the reservoir with new fluid until new comes out the other end. mininum 2 person job, the more the better

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

change , fluid , pas