finding things out! thanks. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 16-07-11 Thread Starter
County: Cumbria

Member car:

alfa gtv 3.0

Wave finding things out! thanks.

Had my gtv 3.0 for two months now,i knew it wasnt perfect when i bought it(12 years old)but the noise and the looks got me right away.
After a couple of weeks the injection warning light came on,i thought the worst, the stories are true alfas really do break down every week but it didnt it carried on running fine, when i looked on your forum this seems too be a common occurence so i took the advice bottle of reddex and a tank of shell v-power,perfect no more warning light
Just got back from hols left the car at the airport for two weeks, flat battery when i tried to get home got a jump start blasted 50 miles home got out no alarm functionslooked on here again found out how too reset alarm, everything working again dont know why battery went flat, ill just go for a week next time
Only things now are air con probably needs gassed ,am i doing any damage to system leaving it as is? and is a bit of noise from back normal could be just the tyre noise but everything else is so quiet,are wheel bearings prone to a bit of noise?
None of this has been a big drama so im still really pleased with the car,Thanks for the help everyone
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Batteries do seem to be important for these cars - do you know if it has been replaced and when that was?

Air con: If not used regularly, the pipes can deterioriate a bit. My air con didn't work when I got the car, I did nothing about if for about 18 months, then a guy regassed it and it worked OK for a bit and then it stopped working about three months after that, so I think I have a leak somewhere.

Noise from the rear - this can be the wheel bearings, or possibly the tyres, a way to check is to swap the wheels around (so put the left on the right and vice versa) and see if you still get the noise. If it is a wheel bearing, the part is around 100 and if you are handy with the spanners, you can fit it yourself without too much bother ~ 2-3 hours.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 643
County: Kent
As above, does it have it's original radio, if it has an aftermarket one it is possible it's permanently on and draining your battery. Lots of threads on here with how to's . Great choice of car
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
There is some electrical leakage. Intended sources of leakage are the alarm and clock. The radio, depending on original or aftermarket may also consume some battery power.

Individually they don't consume much current, but all things added up over a couple of weeks and it can become significant.
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
I often have to leave my GTV for up to 6 weeks or so. I lock the door when I go rather than putting the alarm on with the key fob ( no idea if this saves the battery as the alarm is not armed, so I guess it does) and the car starts 1st time on my return. The car was unused for 8 weeks this time, and that was too much, needed a jump start.

Aftermarket stereo.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 17-07-11 Thread Starter
County: Cumbria

Member car:

alfa gtv 3.0

thanks for the replies,ill try gassing the air con see what happens.It is an after market radio so ill check it out for live,if it ever stops raining ill swop wheels around and see if that makes a differance, thanks again for the help.
AO Member
County: City of Zagreb
A common problem on the GTV are courtesy lights in the glovebox and the boot. Remove the bulbs and the car will start after standing for 4 months, like mine

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

finding , things