Do you think the seller knew there was something wrong? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 09-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Z4 3.0si

Do you think the seller knew there was something wrong?

Flicking through old reciepts last night of the gtv's and contacted a guy who used to own my silver one in 2004, chuffed to know it's still being looked after well

For the grey one I'm breaking due to headgasket going on the guy I brought it from I found the receipt he got given

Do yo think he knew it was on its way out
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Best Give an: As seen, tried and tested and approved, with faults and defects,(none known) to the agreed value of; receipt. Car subsequently has major electrical failure on the way home in mid-winter?
Maybe, maybe not. To be fair sometimes you need to cover your a$$. Maybe he thought the buyer looked a dodgy git and might be back to try it on...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

receipts like this are unnecessary. Law is quite clear - caveat emptor.
Private sales are not required to carry ant guaruntee etc. its buyers responsibilty.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Not necessarily, although worth covering ***. I sold a car once, had to call the police to get the guy to stop hassling me when he thought it was fun to text 2 weeks later saying car was broken down and he was having his money back. Fair play to old bill they had a word and I didn't here a peep after that.

On the otherhand I bought a 156 JTS and within a few miles on came engine warning light so reset, back on it came a few miles later, reset, back on it came...clearly the guy knew it had an issue I did think about suing him but frankly I thought the cost and hassle wasn't worth it.
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

It's all about covering your backside really, as there are people out there who will try it on if they think they can get away with it.

It is always possible that things 'go wrong' shorty after purchase that the previous owner genuinely didn't know about. All parts will give at some point, 10mins after you bought it or not, if it wasn't sold then it would likely have happened to the owner at the same time.

I sold an old Mondeo to a mate (always a bad thing!) years ago. It was working fine when I had it, but within a week the drivers window stopped working, then as the weeks went by more and more stuff was going wrong until it was undriveable.

I felt bad that it happened, but my mate was just unlucky to have bought it on the cusp of all these failures.

Now a 'proper' Petrol Head

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

knew , seller , wrong