Hi all I have taken it upon myself to change the alternator *yikes*
Anybody had experience with doing this? I'm a bit stumped.
There are 2 sets of instructions in the workshop manual which are different...
The guides thread links to what to do before changing your alternator, not actually changing it.
Do you have to remove the subframe on the GTV? or can you do it by swinging the engine forward like in the instructions for the 147? (below for reference)
any other tips for doing this would be greatly appreciated
1) Use ramps
2) Undertray off
3) Exhaust off ... leave the headers and heat shields on
4) Remove oil filter to make space to undo alternator bolts.
5) Remove rhs front wheel and plastic wheel arch
6) Remove rhs drive shaft. Because of safety, when this was done I put the wheel back on without the shaft or brake disc as it was done on the ramps. Fortunately I have been meaning to do the drive shaft boots on that side for a while as the one was torn ... so thats done. Maybe do them anyway while its off.
7) Undo the engine mounts ... top rhs, bottom rhs, centre underneath ... leave gearbox side. Make sure the engine is propped up on a jack or something for maneuvarability.
8) Remove fans in the front ... four 8mm screws and wiring harness ... label the wires.
9) I read and was told that the sub-frame had to be "loosened". I did that too, but in retrospect am not too sure it was necessary ... so cant say how much it helped ... but its done.
10) I put a small 2T jack between the engine and sub- frame and jacked them apart until the engine swung forward enough to undo and remove the alternator through the wheel arch. The fans would have been in the way.