Bad earth? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 06-06-11 Thread Starter

County: Cumbria

Member car:

2l TS

Bad earth?

Just after some advise please peeps. The car won't turn over for start up, sounds like a dead or low battery, engine tries to turn, maybe 1 revolution, then nothing. I've charged the battery, still no good. Tried the battery off the Lancia and it does the same so it seems to me like there might be a bad earth to the starter motor??? Any advise on earthing issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Maybe the one between the gearbox and steering rack. Check to see if the horn is working...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

P2 GTV 3.0

there is a connection on the power lead from the battery to the starter that can cause problems - its on one side of the engine bay, trace the cable back.

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

2005 147 JTD

mine very occasionally does that, but only does it once then the next time it starts
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
If you remove induction and 4 screws for throttle body you will have relativey easy access to the Starter motor on the GTV/Spider just down below throttle body on rear of gearbox.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Before you mess around with leads to the starter - which are normally very tight - try usung a decent jump lead between the battery earth terminal and a good earth point on the engine - anywhere metal should do - and see if that cures the problem....if so, I'd look to replace the earth strap that runs onto the front of the gearbox - I've known them fracture internally before....
AO Member

County: Falkirk
there is an earth strap on the g/box to the chassis they rust at the g/box end (alloy to steel) take it of and clean up with wire brush had that problem with mine
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 07-06-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

2l TS

Thanks for all the advice chaps, I was going to get to the starter from underneath the car by removing the inter drive shaft but if I can get to it from above that's much easier. I will have a good look at the earth's before I get set too though. I think the battery is fine as I've charged it and measured volts, plus used a jump battery and used another battery that I know was fine. Neither made any difference even after it had been bump started and run for 10 miles, once it got turned off it would just do the same.

I'll let you know how I get on but I'm starting to think it will be a starter motor issue.
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 09-06-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

2l TS

Hi, I've removed the starter motor this evening with access from the top as described earlier on. It seems that it may have been off before as 1 of the bolts was only finger tight. Earth's looked ok and all attached from what I could see, no fraying. I did a little test attaching earth from a booster to the body and live to main pole, then bridged to the little pole which operated the solenoid to throw out the starter but no spinning up. Not sure what to do from here to check it. There is a little wear but nothing out of the ordinary I don't think. What is the next step, try a another motor???

Thanks, Rob.
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

It should spin if you've connected it the way you describe, so maybe it's fooked... You could try giving it a knock with a soft(ish) hammer to see if it starts turning...
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 15-06-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

2l TS

Update: T'was the starter. Got a replacement for 30 and fitted it tonight. While I was there I repaired a split hose leading to the butterfly valve and cleaned the valve also. All good now and hopefully will get a few extra miles to the gallon.

Rob.
AO Member

County: Tyne Wear

Member car:

916 Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
Before you mess around with leads to the starter - which are normally very tight - try usung a decent jump lead between the battery earth terminal and a good earth point on the engine - anywhere metal should do - and see if that cures the problem....if so, I'd look to replace the earth strap that runs onto the front of the gearbox - I've known them fracture internally before....
Instruments went haywire followed by electrical burning smell and lost power sound familiar anyone? -really hoping earth strap is the problem....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
bad , earth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page