Wipers-again, sorry but need some help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Wipers-again, sorry but need some help

Ok, wipers and washers decided not to work at all. No previous problems on intermittant or various speeds. Checked the fuse and this had blown so replaced and they worked again. It didnt take long before the fuse went again which is no surprise. Searched on here and found a very helpfull link to from a workshop manual titled:

" Electric system diagnosis" -Windscreen wiper/washer 55-12. ( I have a 1998 V6 )

This shows various tests which is very helpfull but, the problem is that the fuse blows as soon as I turn the ignition on unless i remove the relay(i35). I have swapped the relay and it makes no difference. So I can't carry out the tests suggested until i can stop the fuse from blowing.

I have cleaned the earth point on the front of the bonnet too. I have now also disconnected the wiper motor and the fuse still blows?

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Have you disconnected the washer motor? You've disconnected both connectors at the motor?

The other two components you need to look at and disconnect are the column stalk and the N14 device. N14 is bolted to the side of the fuse box and you have to remove it in order to prise out the connector ( no lock mechanism - it's just very tight ). There was a recent thread on here about finding and removing N14 - within the last couple of months. For the column stalk, I'd remove the cowl and disconnect at the stalks.

It's may also worth checking the connector in the boot ( 2 litre V6 TB washer pump ) that it isn't shorting on anything although it is very unlikely to be the problem.

Having disconnected everything check for a short. Have you got a multimeter? If so remove the fuse and establish which side of the fuse is the supply with the ignition on by using the volt checking range on the meter. Attach the negative meter lead to the car body and probe with the red lead. You're looking for battery voltage on one side of the fuse.

Switch off the ignition, and switch the meter to resistance check.

Put the red probe on the other ( non supply ) side of the fuse and check for no resistance. If you have a short, it's somewhere between the fusebox and the 'B' connector at the motor. Chafed loom where it passes through the bulkhead?

If that is OK, plug the 'B' connector ( should have 4 wires whilst 'A' has 5 ) back into the motor.

Repeat check for short. If you now have a short you either have a problem with the wiper control box attached to the wiper motor ( unlikely as there shouldn't be a ground connection at this stage ) or a fault in the loom. If the latter, you need to check each of the other three wires in connector 'B' individually.

If OK, reconnect connector 'A' at the wiper motor.

Again check for a short. If OK disconnect 'A' and reconnect N14. Check for a short. If OK, disconnect N14 and connect the stalks. Check for a short.

If OK, repeat the previous tests with wiper motor connector 'A' connected.

Finally, reconnect the washer motor and recheck ( this is unlikely to be the problem ).

At some point you should find a short. Knowing what you last plugged in, should help to identify the problem and then you can test individual wires to narrow it down to a bad wire or a bad device with the wiring diagramme in the manual.

You may, with some tests get some resistance showing on the meter, that is OK. You're looking for zero resistance.

My guess is that you either have a fault in the control box at the wiper motor or a diode has blown inside N14.

Hope that helps.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 03-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive response it's much appreciated.

(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 03-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Found the infamous N14! Worked through the process as described above and it was all good. No "shorts" anywhere?

Anyway, put it partly back together and it all works again-blinkin flip.

All good practice and until the next time.....................................

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider