Hard or soft wall tyres - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
Help Hard or soft wall tyres

Hi all my 18" rear wheels are in for a reburb, so I want to get 2 new tyres, currently I have 235/40/18 Falkens Ziex 912's. My spider is lowered on Eibach's, the ride is quiet hard, but not to bad only over the dreaded potholes. Faulkens has softer tyres walls, so would the ride be improved by a harder wall tyre?? Any advise or Tyre recomendations appreciated. I've been looking at Toyo proxies and P zero's or mid range Maxxis Ma z1.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent
I know one thing is that the cheaper range of tyres make a lot of noise, I just had two budget range on front and my god i thought I had a wheel bearing going or gone, anyway i put some brand name on the front and stuck budget on the back with less air in so that's all sorted. but as for you soft wall will make the handling a little bit squidgy but hard wall will make ride even harder so its comfort or handling, so its would be your choice. I guess after that i haven't been a lot of help but only to say don't get cheepies.
AO Gold Member
County: Lancashire
The 912's are a comfort/sport/all weather tyre. Try the FK452's, a performance tyre, stiffer walls, worked well on my Stilo on a 215/40/18, really held there own against the Conti SC2's on before it. But as said, a stiffer wall will mean more noise, but better handling, but you will feel the bumps more, but yet they will have less tendancy to lean over. The FK452's are a cracking tyre for the price, been using them for years, and even on my 205/55 on my 156 they dont lean anything like the SP3000 that were on it when i got it.

Used Falkens for years, and will for the forseable future, nothing comes close for the price. A very very good tyre

At the big scrapyard in the sky:
Mk2 Punto Active Sport 1.2 8vStilo Schumacher GP147 1.6 TS LussoMk1 Punto Sporting 1.2 16v156 1.8 TS Lusso

On the 8th day God created BMW, on the 9th day, he traded it in for an Alfa Romeo :evillaugh:

AO Member
County: Kent

i will have to remember that next time i need tyres but as i just changed them i dont think i will need any for a few years, my spider only dose about 5000 a year, but i will look at the falkens next time. but as for yours wot do u choose? i think if it was me because its a sports car i would go for the handling option and stick with the hard tyres, just keep mouth close so your teeth dont fall out when u hit a bump.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

hard , soft , tyres , wall