Squeeky brakes... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Hmmm Squeeky brakes...

Hi all,

After a bit of advice as always - my GTV seems to have developed a bit of a squeeky brake sound (intemittently) when the brake pedal is pushed for over about 3 seconds i.e a quick dab doesn't cause it to squeek but continued braking does..

I changed the pads about a month ago and didn't change the discs (after some good advice here) as the discs weren't too badly worn - not warping i was told..

Is this anything to worry about? are they likely to just need some lube or something??

cheers in advance for any advice
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: Squeeky brakes...

If it's squeaking, it's probably not the discs. Did you put a good smear of copper grease on the back of the pads when you fitted them?

Thanks for that.

I didn't actually fit them myself - got a local garage to do them. I'm taking it there today for an MOT so will check with them.

AO Silver Member

I found some stuff much better than copper grease - its made by Bendix (brake manufacturer) especially to prevent brake squeel. a bottle was 5, so not cheap, but even with notoriously squeely ferrodo DS2500's it works!!

to mis qoute 'bloody magic'

Its called something like bendix brake squeel preventer, is light blue in colour, in a 250ml appx bottle. you apply it thinly to the back of the pads, and any other contact points, let it dry to clear colour, it forms a thin rubbery surface, and hey presto. And it really really works... stopped my front ds2500's squeeling, just the back pads to do now

I will never use copper slip again, this stuff is the daddy for brakes - I cannot recommend it enough

I think its quite new, but your auto store should be able to get it

Hold the rear end slide....don't run wide!

156 2.0TS Veloce Lthr (02/02), silver, black Momo, BMC filter,V6 intake, DS2500 Front-DS Perf Rear pads, Conti sportcontacts, OMP strut Brace .

Built in Italy, on the last Friday before (hic) Xmas........:-/

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

brakes , squeeky