Engine Options for Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Engine Options for Spider

Hi everyone,
I'm brand new to this site, but have owned a 76 Alfa Spider for several years. I'm hoping the experts here can point me to some options.

I need to get the engine rebuilt in my Spider and at least in the States (Dallas, Texas area) this can be very expensive. I've debated doing it myself though this would be the first time I've ever done a complete rebuild.

Another option I was thinking about was just replacing the engine completely with something that might be cheaper to work on long term and would give me more power than the older engine would be able to give. I saw some information about someone who got a V6 Alfa engine into a spider, but that would still be very expensive to get worked on in this area. Has anyone heard of someone taking a more mainstream engine (at least something more easily available in the U.S.) and getting it to fit into the Spider's engine compartment?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Re: Engine Options for Spider

Hi Matt,

Welcome to AO.

For starters, you're not going to get too many answers in this lounge. You might want to try reposting/moving this to the Classics lounge.

This topic has been discussed a couple of times, the most recently here: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=27263 (spider s3 and a twinspark engine) but I don't think it truly addresses your question. This board is mainly European, so what we consider a common engine isn't common to most of the contributors. For a better answer try www.alfabb.com -- it's based in the States and has many more classic Alfa owners.

I can't give you any advice on local servicing. The best I can do it direct you to one of our (former?) memebers. PSCALFA3 or pscalfa2 -- he has about four different log in names but the first one is the most current. He tended to split his time between Texas and Oklahoma, so he might be able to point you the right direction. Pscalfa hasn't been around my lately. He seemed to have taken off in a huff after some discussions about the war in Iraq and U.S. foreign policy. Please be warned, this is an international board, and we tend to take a slightly greyer view of things compared to the "you're either with the terrorists or with us" approach to things here.

Good luck with your engine.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

engine , options , spider