Knocking Sound - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Norfolk
Hmmm Knocking Sound

Hello Everyone,

I ve had a knocking sound at the front of my car for the past two weeks driving to Somerset and back to my home in Norfolk. (work related). I finally looked at my car today and noticed on the drivers side that there is major knocking from the right suspension and what looks like fluid loss from the suspension shock absorber on the inner wheel arch.

Is it easy for the home mechanic to do? and what tools would I need? and what absorbers would I need?

Any advice would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Sounds like a seal in the strut has given up. In principle not a difficult job but, as all things, suspension related, the hardest part is persuading things to come apart without breaking them. You will need some spring compresors to remove the spring from the strut (any decent motor factor) but otherwise no special tools required. A search of the forum will soon reveal people's experiences. All the usual suspects sell front struts.
AO Silver Member
County: -
Your biggest problem will be rusted/just plain tight nuts!!

The actual process itself is surprisingly easy and theres only 6 or 7 bolts in the whole process. The worst one is the top (captive) bolt on the strut. I used a friendly local garages impact wrench to get it off, you may well have to do the same!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

knocking , sound