Ipod/Iphone dock in Spider? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Ipod/Iphone dock in Spider?

Hi folks,

I am lucky / unlucky enough (depending on the answers I get) of having an old Nokia car pod in my Spider, It was put in professionally by the previous owner. I was initially thinking of just taking it out, however upon closer inspection the bracket is screwed in behind the dash. It has a mic port integrated into the dash also. (as can be seen just to right of bracket - above the fog light switch) All in all a very nice neat job.

Which got me thinking.... I would like to change this to an Iphone dock, any ideas people?

Has anyone done the same? Change the old 'brick' Nokia to Iphone?

Oh and the car now has mats unlike when the photo was taken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (87.9 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Paul.Spider; 12-05-11 at 07:47.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Herefordshire
I have seen a few iPhone docs and seen a few on fleabay, not sure if there interchangeable though!

Hope it helps
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
Thats a very old Nolia car kit - I had one fitted to my then new 2001 Spider

There's not much you can do with it except get an old Nokia 6310 mobile, put in a sim card and use the nokia car kit (the 6310 was probably the best mobile ever made - not talking smartphone, but as a mobile it was great - sometimes the battery would last 2 weeks without charge! - they are still sold new & 2nd-hand on ebay) BTW the "mic pod" you mention is actually the air con temp sensor, not a mic

You could take out the car kit and use the bracket to hold an iPhone, but how would you connect it to the radio/ cd? I cant quite see the radoi/ CD, but if its a standard Alfa fitment then you cannot connect the iPhone to it, except using an FM transmitter attached to the iPhone

I had a Clarion unit in my 2001 spider that had phono input on the back, so I connected my old iPhone via the headphone socket of the iPhone

I have just bought a JVC KD41 Dab Radio/ CD for my Silver Spider with the optional bluetooth handsfree Unit - I will be able to connct my Android Phone to the Radio/ CD using bluetooth to make/ answr pahone calls throughthe car speakers and also to play music form the phone

JVC make an iPod compatable version - the JVC KD51 - this connects with the standard iPhone USB lead to the front of the unit

Good Luck

See dabonwheels.co.uk : JVC KD-DB42 DAB car radio
or dabonwheels.co.uk : JVC KD-DB52 DAB car radio
AO Silver Member
County: Antrim

Member car:

Matter of opinion about the old nokia's I'd say, but where there's a will there's a way!!

The mic port you talk about is indeed standard fit so to be able to use your ipod with you stereo you will def have to fit a new stereo. From my experience....if you are going for it I would rather spend the extra 20 - 30 and get one that has a connection in the back of the stereo. If you have a look about on here, some people have fitted them to their ashtrays.

And by the way.....I am very jealous of your interior!!!!! Always wanted red seats!!!
Cheers guys, I am tihnking of removing the cradle and cables, I have an aftermarket sony stereo in there with a phono input (used currently for the phone connection) I inend to place an ipod/Iphone doc, like the idea of using the ashtray to cover up the connection when not in use
I will incorporate the existing microphone point, however may not need it as the iphone mic is pretty good.

Thanks for the comment Jonno, yup I love the red interior, I have owned the car for around 4 months and am chuffed to bits with it, I popped on an autodelta quad exhaust too, I can't tihnk of what else I would change to it, other than the phone/pod doc. Perhaps I may put better speakers in there... however after a playing with the stereo settings it is sounding much better lately.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

dock , ipod or iphone , spider