alfa gtv engine misfiring - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-05-11 Thread Starter
County: Essex
alfa gtv engine misfiring

Hi there, I wondered if anyone could help, I recently bought a GTV 1998 2.0TS, the car runs generally pretty well and has covered 98k miles. However, it was misfiring, it would really jump and miss, it didn't seem to do this when stationary or well going over, say, 50mph,
if you came up to a roundabout, changed down and nothing coming went on the gas,
thats when it would do it, sometimes quite badly. However, it seemed more an electrical problem than with spark plugs or a general engine misfire. Also, I say was as I took it to an Alfa dealer and they looked the car over and said that it had a Phase Sensor error showing and also that the Phase Sensor loom had some sort of bodged repair with someone taping the wiring up I guess, anyhow, the mechanic who looked it over must have moved the wiring about to check the connections and hey presto! it stopped, however, it has started to creep back again and has started to misfire although not as bad as before.

Also, there is a terrible smell of oil in the cabin, however, it hasn't had a drop of oil needed since I got it a month ago, but the dipstick is way over the maximum filling amount, the Alfa garage said the engine had oil mist over it but there was no evidence of a leak and I have checked it and it isn't leaking oil, the only other thing they found was that they said it was blowing at the manifold, not sure what this means!

Any help for a novice would be gratefully received !
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
Start by taking the cover off and see if any of the plug holes are filling up with oil from a dodgey top gasket.
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
I know this is an old thread, but a leak at the inlet manifold will cause a misfire, your mechanic has identified a leak at the manifold so either of the two nuts that hold it to the block has worked itself loose or a mechanic has had the inlet off and not torqued the nuts back up or not done so with thread lock?
AO Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

Check the wiring to the coil packs, admittedly on a V6 but my first suffered similar symptoms and it was nothing more than a break in the wiring and the odd shorting out on the rocker cover - took me ages to identify the problem and was a 2 minute fix

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

alfa , engine , gtv , misfiring