Getting fed up with ongoing immobiliser CODE issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Moaning Getting fed up with ongoing immobiliser CODE issues

G'day all, I'm the owner of a 1 1/2 y.o. GTV TS and lately I've been having those REALLY ANNOYING immobiliser CODE problems - the ones where you stick the key in and the CODE light refuses to go off, hence not allowing you to start the car.

I've just got back from the dealer to get this fixed. I got told that it was due to a loose connection, rather than the immobiliser itself. Supposedly it's been fixed, and supposedly the immobiliser doesn't need to be replaced, but I'm starting to get really cheesed off with this as it's the third time I've had to take it in to fix this in the last six months, and that doesn't count all the other times (at least 15+) times it's happened over that period where I've basically crossed my fingers and kept trying and eventually got it starting after 5 mins or so.

The first time I took it in because after a week of doing this my car simply refused to start and I had to get it towed to the dealer, the second time I stopped at a milk bar to buy cigarettes and was stuck there for an hour before finally getting it towed again as the car refused to start. I've asked my dealer for the manual override but it hasn't been given to me as of yet. This third time was pretty much the final straw for me as again it refused to start after a night out with friends, and only started after repeated trying after 30mins. It's very irritating and it's embarrassing as well - I've had mates telling me that had I gotten a Beemer or a VeeDub I wouldn't have this problem, and they're probably right!

It's a joke!! I'm a very tolerant person and can put up with all the various Alfa idiosyncracies, they don't bother me, and I really do love my Alfa to death - but when it's something as elementary as starting your car (and mine is less than 2 years old and only has 35000km on it) then it pretty much negates the "Alfa driving experience" which is the very reason I decided to get an Alfa. I can handle everything else that goes wrong as long as I can DRIVE my car. I'm fast running out of patience with it - I'm an easy-to-please person and only require three things from my car: 1) I must be able to drive it so I can enjoy the driving experience; 2) it mustn't do things that embarrass me eg refusing to start; and 3) it needs to look pretty. Currently it's only fulfilling me on point 3.

Does anyone know why this problem continues to occur? If the immobiliser isn't the problem then what course of action can I take to get a solution to it? It's turning into a bit of a lottery everytime I park my car, I don't know if I'll be able to start it again!

Any assistance/feedback would be valued...

Last edited by Madryoch; 16-08-04 at 09:43.
Sponsored Links
Re: Getting fed up with ongoing immobiliser CODE issues

The only reason it's still doing this is because of the dealer! Someone I know had the same issue when their car was new, fixed first time and no problems since.

Take it back and give 'em hell. At a guess I'd say the CODE unit needs replacing but they need to check it out again

AO Silver Member
County: Surrey

The code unit is under the dash to the right of the fuse box. According to the manual a new unit comes with a universal code and then accepts it only if the master key is used. This is a very brief summary of what it says, if you want more details I've pm'd my phone number. Just spotted you're the other side of the world so have included e-mail address.

Last edited by armoore; 17-08-04 at 10:34. Reason: addditional material

They are right, the code unit connector can be zip-tied to secure it so that it doesn't move if the steering is adjusted. The movement can sometimes cause the pins to spread. If you get stuck somewhere, you use the electronic code on the "Alfa Code" card to bypass the immobiliser.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

code , fed , immobiliser , issues , ongoing