Overheating GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 26-04-11 Thread Starter
County: Merthyr Tydfil

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

Hmmm Overheating GTV

Hi all.
I've put a new thermostat on my 99 GTV 2.0 TS and have since had a problem with the water temperature getting quickly to about 90, more recently, lower than this, and then the engine cutting out. I then can't start the engine until it cools down.
I've flushed the system to make sure there's no blockage, checked that the thermostat works and changed the water temperature sensor on the thernostat. All the hoses and radiator are getting hot and I'm getting water from the bleed point on the rad with no air so I don't think there's an air lock. Problem's still there. Got a cd workshop manual on the way but in the mean time I'm finding difficulty getting diagrams/info on coolant system and possible causes for the above.
Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
Hi Andy, that sounds like a crank sensor prob to me rather than coolant system as all that you have said is correct for a well maintained system, if it goes high above 90o then i would check and possibly replace the fan resistors.

PS: The first thing you should do is diagnose the car, do you know anyone with Alfadiag or Fiatecuscan et al?

Last edited by EauRouge; 26-04-11 at 23:03.
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire
IS the fan kicking in at 90?
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Good Advice here, i have a 2.0 TS and it has temperature moments especially in traffic..

However prior to last weeks hot weather i have never seen it running that high, the thermostat runs normal, opening and closing until i've been on the go for about 45 mins by then everything is upto temp and i get a constant 88 deg temp indicated as i drive. That is normal i'm told it only loses it once i'm in stop start traffic.

The diagnosis at the moment is that the cooling fan isnt running at high speed...however the Alfa tech who works on it says it should be ok to 100 deg, i'm paranoid and dont want it running that high so resistors it is. But also the A/C need regassing and that is another method of heat transfer from the cooling system, thats my next tick box to be done

Would suggest you get it checked out as it shouldnt cut out so the crank sensor is another good place to start checking.

Surprisingly when mine was running warmer than normal, a laser thermometer on the thermostast didnt register the same temperature as the gauge but that is of very little comfort especially with a performance alloy engine.....

Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 TS
Autodelta ECU Remap

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 27-04-11 Thread Starter
County: Merthyr Tydfil

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

That's great, thanks all. I'll change the crank sensor and fan resistors and see what happens. In answer to the 90 degree question Monkerbrain1234, it was..........but at one point on Tuesday it seemed to run fine again, not overheating while reaching 90, but then started cutting out again but at about 75. Confusing! Anyhow, I'll look into the aircon regassing and finding someone with the right diagnostic gear. Funny......everytime a bank holiday comes along.........

I'll post an update soon

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , overheating