GTV 2.0 Undertray - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 24-04-11 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

GTV 2.0 Undertray

OK ladies and gents,
Any suggestions/experiences would be welcome. Last night, reversing on to my drive, I half ripped the undertray off the Alfa. It's a bit of a mess, so I have now temporarily removed it - looks like it would be better to replace it than repair it. However, I have the following questions :-
1. Cooling - today was pretty hot, and the temperature gauge remained in it's usual position.
2. Handling/Roadholding - I've only taken it to about 80 mph, but there appears no difference in the handling.
I presume the aerodynamics are now rubbish, and will cost me in fuel and top speed, but am I likely to cause any damage running it short term sans tray, and where would I be likely to get another one, and how much should I pay ?
3. Unrelated query, the car is running 17" teledials and I find the handling better if I drop the tyre pressures to around 35 psi rather than the reccomended settings - does anyone have any exoeriences here ?

Plus side to ripping off the undertray is that I had a bonking from the n/s front that was proving hard to find, but since the tray has gone, so has the noise - suspect the tray may have been a bit loose!
As I said at the top of the query, any advice/experiences would be most welcome- I'm still an Alfa newbie.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
I think you'll find that most Spider/GTV owners have either dispensed with or like in my case never had the undertray; not sure whether it is worth trying to source one they just get in the way; I would think that you'll be looking at second hand now so try breaking GTVs etc.

I wouldn't run the tyres on a softer a setting problems with increased wear, impact on economy possibly wont handle as well. I am sure someone else will be along with more precise info later.

Welcome to the forum.
AO Member

Member car:

916 Spider

I believe I may have the only spider on the planet with an undertray still fitted...

Main (only?) advantage that I can see is that it keeps your engine bay spotlessly clean...

Oh, also provides an early warning system for potentially sump damagingly high ramps.....!
AO Silver Member
County: Skåne

Member car:

I'm a bit of doubt about the usefulness of the undertray in a humid climate, have seen a lot of Fiat Brava/Bravo that has a similar layout but have a steel sump and I am of the opinion that the sump do rust much more with the undertray mounted, now it's probably not a problem with Alfas aluminum sump but I take it as a sign that the undertray allows the engine bay retain moisture for a longer time and there may be other parts that do not like the moisture, like Alfas electricity system, anyway the undertray are only in the way as soon as you whant to service your car.

In terms of cooling, I have not noticed any difference with or without undertray.

Handling/Roadholding doubt that you in a TS can reach speeds where you notice any difference in aerodynamics, and any difference in fuel consumption are going to be difficult to determine.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 26-04-11 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Seems fine so far, acid test will be beginning of july when we are off to the Ring.
Still a great little car (bought off Lee on this forum) and all has gone well so far - new screen (unlucky) new rad ( small leak, but I wasn't going to mess about ) and four new tyres , but so far so good.
Not sure what to do long term
A) Keep car
B) Go for another GTV or Spyder with a bit more grunt
C) P*****e Boxster ( sorry is that like swearing on this forum ) but definitely keeping at leat until autumn!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , undertray