gtv cambelt failure? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 21-04-11 Thread Starter
County: Greater London

Member car:

GTV V6 and GT V6

gtv cambelt failure?

Hi, please help with my gtv 3.0 v6....
recently had a cambelt change , and the car came back and began going wrong....

1) when full lock to the left or right , a circular sounding grinding noise occurs, have been told its something to do with the auxiliary belt pulley? should this have been changed with the cambelt? a few days after , a really bad smell, smoke from exhaust and a complete loss of power? im now afraid to drive it , just in case the gasket has been blown

2) gear stick lever is disjointed,and does reverse, or properly engage the gears at all.....the ball joint on the linkage has this costly to repair?

3) squeaky breaks when coming to a complete halt? any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Have you got back in touch with the garage that did your cam belt? Auxillary belt and cam belts are different things i think.

If the smoke from your exhaust was white it sounds like it could be the HG and may not be related to the belt change. Check your oil for coolant contamination and vica versa as this will indicate head gasket failure.
AO Member
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

The sound from is from the aux belt as the aux belt drives the alternator, powersteering and aircon comporessor from the crank pully. You get aux belt noise at full lock as the powersteering pump gives more resistance as its is going full on and the belt is possibly slipping. This is separate to the cambelt but would have been worthwile to change as they are only about 12 and you have to remove it and put it back on to get to the cambelt. They may have indeed changed it you will have to ask. One thing to bear in mind if they have changed it is that the catalogue legnth of the belt varies by 30mm depending on manufacturer which is pretty much the tollerence of the tensioner and if you have a long belt and a tired tensioner you can get slippage. I did.

Power loss, smoking and all the other stuff is not good. did it run well when it came back and change suddenly or was it running bad straight after the garage?
Sounds as if the timing is out to be doing all of that which may or may not result in engine damage. Did the garage just change the belt or did they do all of the followers and tensioner too? If not the tensioner may not have given correct tension and you may have slipped a tooth or too which is not good. You need to get a diagnostic and speak to the garage pronto.

Squeeky brakes are not a major issue , just need a clean out and some maintinance. The gear change is cable operated the ball joint may have just come off. they are located under the air intake on teh right hand side of the engine towards the back bolted to the gearbox.
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Originally Posted by john_C View Post
Sounds as if the timing is out to be doing all of that which may or may not result in engine damage.
Also have a look at the metal near the cam pulleys for signs of fresh Tippex type marks. If there, then they probably didn't use camlocks.
AO Member
County: Western Isles

Member car:

Alfa Red GT Q2

Originally Posted by pkr View Post
Also have a look at the metal near the cam pulleys for signs of fresh Tippex type marks. If there, then they probably didn't use camlocks.
As a paranoid cam belt changer I tend to make a few marks with a paint marker even though I have the proper cam locks and a DTi

I may even consider buying the proper tensioning tool - but that is just because I like to buy tools, not because it can't be done with a screwdriver (or two), a tiny cable tie and three small hands. It can also be done with two hands but the missus comes in handy. (slap )

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

cambelt , failure , gtv