New pads - worn discs?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
New pads - worn discs??

Can anyone advise - at my last service (about 700 miles ago) i was told i'd need new brake discs and pads in the next couple of thousand miles. Last night i had the blinking warning light come on indicating the pads were low.

I'm off to france on a camping / driving type hol on Sunday and don't really have time (or cash!) to get both the discs and pads done - so have opted to have the pads done in my local garage tomorrow. Can anyone tell me if there is any issues with just having the pads done without new discs??

I looked at the discs when the car was on the ramp about 6 months ago and there looked a bit scored but not warped as far as i could see..

any advice much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Thumbs Up Re: New pads - worn discs??

Disc wear comes down to two things - are they warped and are they at minimum thickness?

If yours are not warped, then fine on that point.

Minimum thickness is stamped on the edge of the disc. It's something like 8-10mm. You should be able to feel the disc edges... if there's a lip on the edge of the disc it will indicate how much yours have worn away.

If the ridge is miniscule then I shouldn't worry about it... iron discs are pretty much indestructible, even way beyond the minimum (trust me, I been there).

The pads HAVE to be changed - if the wear through to the backing plate that'll wreck your discs, reduce your stopping power (though by less than you might imagine ) and could eventually fall out as they get thin enough to drop through the gap between brake piston and disc.

That last one is a DNF... (though again, the piston itself does provide a fair degree of stopping power - it's not like you get NO brakes at all.)

So, pads YES.. discs later.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Re: New pads - worn discs??

Originally Posted by Ralf S.
That last one is a DNF... (though again, the piston itself does provide a fair degree of stopping power - it's not like you get NO brakes at all.)
Unless of course, when the pad does fall out, and the disc is very thin the piston might fall out too. There goes your stopping powa!
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
Re: New pads - worn discs??

I'll pretty much echo what Ralf has said. Grooves on the working surface don't matter that much - if there's substantial rust over the face of the disc it needs replacing, but otherwise, if the brakes feel good - no rumble, pulsation through the pedal, vibration, squeal, etc. - the discs are OK.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

discs , pads , worn