Gtv gears stuck - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Help Gtv gears stuck

My dad's 3.0 Gtv's (six speed) has a big problem. Basically the gear change got stiffer and stiffer over a couple of days until eventually it stopped working altogether. Also when we went to start it an hour ago it refused to start at all, nothing. I know it could be a flat battery but we were wondering if this was connected with the gear problems. We are not very experienced as this is our first alfa. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 2.0

Only thing I can think of is the brake/clutch fluid has a power assist, which presumably runs off the aux. belt, which may have snapped.

The alternator also runs off the aux. belt so this would cause the battery to discharge.

Edit: I just read about power assisted brakes and I don't think its this ^^ the above is total ******** :-)

Last edited by Turtle4288; 04-04-11 at 19:08.
AO Member
County: Cheshire
The 6 speed gearbox essentially has cables between the gear stick and the gearbox, not a fixed mechanical linkage, not being 100% familiar with it i would summise that if the gear shift has been getting stiffer thats where to look possibly it has siezed.
Now also that means i would say there is possibly an electrical fault preventing the car from starting...Flat battery being the no1 for not starting...but also immobilised due to a problem with ignition key, first thing to check is that there is power to the car.....
AO Member
County: -
it is nothing to do with the cables or the belt it is all down to the synchromesh it happend to my 156 about two years ago or it could be that the gearbox oil has gone or it has failed and check the bush under the gear stick where it joins to the gear box will up load a diagram tomoz if i have time

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gears , gtv , stuck