Starting issues (solved) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 30-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Starting issues (solved)

A couple of weeks ago, while in the Yorkshire moors, my GTV V6 (2001) would not start after turning it off and taking a few quick photos of it. Luckily the car was on a hill and I managed to bump start it at about 10mph. Managed to get the car home and used it to/from work and no problems arose during the first week. The car was just being started from cold, driven, parked up and left during the office hours, so all starting was done from cold.

After another episode where the car refused to hot start (within an hour of being left to cool down), I booked the car into the garage (JJBs). They diagnosed the crank sensor failure and replaced it. I got the car back, my wallet felt lighter and I thought all would now be well. It wasn't..

Having gone into tesco to buy some lunch, I came back outside, and the car would not start. Just to be clear, the key code was going out on the dash and the car was turning over, it just was not 'catching'.

After calling out the RAC, we once again bump started the car. I booked the car back in to JJBs and this time they held onto it for a couple of days to make sure that the problem was really nailed. Checking the diagnostics, the car did not report any faults. They then turned their attention to the battery and it failed a test. The battery was then replaced and I have just got the car back and all is well again!

I didn't think it would be the battery to be honest, but there you are. So anyone who has starting issues with their GTVs, do the simple thing first and replace, or test the battery to make sure that it is ok!

Maybe it was that the ECU shutdown or something because the battery voltage dropped slightly.... who knows.. would be interested to hear anyone elses experiences of this kind of thing.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Monmouthshire
It does sound a bit odd, as the battery would have more power pulled from it turning the engine over than at any other time. But if its solved the problem then happy days
It takes a lot of amps to start a GTV. More than most cars. It will keep on turning over but won't get enough juice to kick in if the batts not 100%

Had the same problem with mine and been fine since new battery. Except for the Code key light, but that's another story!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

P2 GTV 3.0

Yep, been there. Someone explained it once. Not enough juice to charge the coils & get a spark? My problem turned out to be a loose (later found to be broken) battery clamp, which I only realised when removing it to replace the battery, which wasn't duff after all. Weirdest symptom was that when driving the engine would cut out if I turned the headlamps on!
AO Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Brera V6 Q4 QT

My car starts brilliantly when it is freezing cold (if I can get past frozen locks), but takes a moment (up to 5 secs) when the weather is nice and sunny or mild ! Any ideas, or is it a relocated post to the 'they all do that' thread
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
i recharged my battery and it started ok, have now had the same problem and done the same but it just cranks over. Might just be a poor battery level again, maybe have to charge overnight. Have noticed now that the idle actuator is no longer 'buzzing' upon ignition and there is a double click coming from around that area. Any ideas?

Last edited by Corkyd10; 03-05-11 at 20:21. Reason: spelling

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

issues , solved , starting