Alfa gtv fitting 147 steering wheel - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 22-03-11 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire
Alfa gtv fitting 147 steering wheel

Well sick of the site of stock gtv steering wheel and from looking at previous threads re fitting got somewhat confused. Basically its not a simple job to fit the 147 steering wheel to a gtv because neither the P1 or P2 spline the correct pitch for the 147 wheel, even though the diameter is close. The spline boss stubb on a 147 is also larger in diameter and shorter than the gtv wheel so the normal practice would be to use the 147 clock spring but still a pain as the connectors need rewiring which i worked out but still not prepared to hammer on the steering wheel to fit the spline.....
so to avoid all that hastle got an old gtv wheel and completely removed the boss. Then
machine the boss thickness so that it would sit almost flush with 147 wheel boss.
to keep integrity and strength i machined out the sline boss of the 147 wheel and machined
a rebate in old boss so that the old boss would sit centrally in the 147 so no issues with
an ofset wheel etc... The two boss plates are then bonded and 4 machine screws used to
complete the fit. In fact its probably stronger than the original boss and still retains its integrity...job done. I havent on this occasion used the airbag as its nearly ten years and probably coming to the end of its manufacturers life expectancy. If you do need to retain
the airbag then no problem just need to fit older style airbag connector to 147 airbag unit
and it will only work on the later trw ecu units. If no airbag required then terminate with a
3ohm resistor and make sure its fitted before reconnecting the battery or a fault light will occur. If not wanting to so this yourself then would be pepared to offer this as a service if required or offer more information.... See pics to see what a diff....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Interior1.jpg (19.0 KB, 213 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

That looks much better !
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

alfa gtv6

Simbo You Top MAN yes id be very interested as id like to fit an aftermarket wheel as i despise my gtv wheel and always have do you know if you could do this for an aftermarket wheel anyway pm me or drop me a line here regards Brian
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

You "depise" the standard GTV wheel? Granted it's not that up to date by current standards but it is what the car came with and there's something to say about keeping a car original IMHO. Anyway, fitting a 147 wheel you end up with a load of useless buttons on the steering wheel surely???
AO Gold Member
County: Western Cape
Since a Phase 3 has the same radio as a 156, can one make the buttons work?
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

alfa gtv6

Yes I always have Despised the gtv wheel years ago when the car was brought out i was an apprentice at a fiat, lancia, alfa dealer cut a long story short there wasnt one of us who did like the wheel but a lot of us loved the look of the car as to useless buttons if you check this link i think these guys have got the answer dont get me wrong i love my alfa but i dont in all honesty believe in keeping something on it that i think makes it look naff as to keeping the car original i dont much care for that its my car and if i wish to change bits on it thats my choice dont get me wrong people who want to keep the car exactly the same Great each to there own i say
AO Silver Member
County: Staffordshire
if anyone needs any parts for an upgrade pm me ive got loads of wheels/airbags etc in stock.
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
I'm sorry, but I don't understand..... Seems like a lot of work to slightly update the interior looks, why not go for a really modern wheel from a Guilietta... But even then it will be mutton dressed as lamb... However each to his own... If you like it, do it, life is too short
AO Member
Big fan of the Giulietta wheel... I'd customise the hell out of my car for it!

Or 159 Ti wheel.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

147 , alfa , fitting , gtv , steering , wheel