Spider Airbag - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Spider Airbag

I was having problems with the horn on my spider, honking as I turned corners and occasionally honking all by itelf. I decided to take the steering wheel apart to take a look. However while I was doing this I dropped the airbag and it came off the connector while the ignition was on! D'OH! So I've got a warning light on the dash. I turned off the ignition and plugged it back in and the light was still there, this was before I learnt that the ECU needs resetting, anyway. While I was on my quest to find out what was wrong with it at the time I disconnected the cable inside the ignition housing and used a continuity tester. The plug going to the airbag has two connectors. However the continuity tester bleeps no matter which wire I touch.
The background is layed down, the Question is..

Are these two wires supposed to be as one (one as backup maybe?) or is there two cables supposed to go to the unit? + & - maybe?
I'm thinking that when I dropped the airbag just before it disconnected its given the cable a tug and mashed the plate inside the steering column that connects the wires from the dash to the wheel.?

Any help?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Spider Airbag

Originally Posted by SpiderLusso
Are these two wires supposed to be as one (one as backup maybe?) or is there two cables supposed to go to the unit? + & - maybe?
An answer at least, maybe not helpful: Could not find the thing on the wiring diagram. But lets do some thinking: the airbag is a small detonator that produces gas while burning/detonation. In order to ignite the thing I guess a current would have to be applied and then would have to be + and -.
But you never know about wiring these days in modern cars. I would fit it (with the battery off for more then 10 minutes before I do anything and the ignition off) and have a quick run by the Examiner at a garage to have them look at the circiut from the ECU's side.

Its always good to be on the safe side with an airbag. Getting one to blow up when not in need is not ok, and having one not deploy when you need one would probably also be slightly irritating I guess.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

airbag , spider