Broken throttle cable - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Broken throttle cable

How hard is it to replace a throttle cable on a 2.0 GTV? Mine has just gone. Managed to idle it back as was only at the top of the street.

can't really see where the cable goes into the bulk head and from the footwell side looks like you need the fingers of a 3 year old!!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Norfolk
Mine took me about three hours to do last summer, you need to be very patient and idealy have have the front end of the car jacked up as this will make things easier for you. Best way to fit the cable is to start from the throttle body end and follow it where it goes through the bulk head into the footwell.

Once you have done that carefully and take your time... refit the new cable from the pedal end to the throttle body.

Good luck
AO Gold Member
A bit confused by GTV73s post - unless his GTV is a 73......on the TS GTVs (at least the right-hand drive ones) the throttle cable is in two parts - though replacing either of them is a PITA. One part runs from the throttle pedal through the bulkhead to one side of a quadrant mounted on the bulkhead, hidden behind the plenum chamber - it has a cover over it fastened on with two 10mm bolts. The other cable runs from the other side of the quadrant to the throttle body.

There's no easy access to get at the quadrant - if you remove the inlet trunking and unbolt the throttle body, you might get enough access to get at it, otherwise you could remove the engine steady bar, and loosen the front engine mount to allow the engine to tilt forward enough to give you access......

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
hmmmmm sounds like a job for your friendly independent Alfa man.
Does seem like a right pain. I'm hoping that it hasn't snapped just come off at the pedal as I can't find a replacement anywhere. Havn't had chance to have a look yet. probably wishful thinking.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

broken , cable , throttle