Do I have a snake in my GTV? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Do I have a snake in my GTV?

This is wierd, I'm getting a hissing noise from behind the dash somewhere on my GTV. So I've searched on here and found that it could possibly be the brake servo leaking. Thing is, pressing the brake pedal makes no difference to the noise. Brakes are fine and firm up when pumped with the engine off. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

GTV twinspark

You could disconnect the vacuum pipe that leads to the servo, on the TS its close to the top engine dogbone, and theres an easily accessible joint you can disconnect. Hope its not though, horrible job..
AO Member
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Just mentioning the obvious, incase you havent done it. You have turned off the aircon on the little switch on the fan knob. whilst the aircon light is on the fan is going 1/2 of the 1st notch speed. Mine used to squeel on the aircon only setting untill i Oiled the fan. If it is the fan its behind the glove box. stick your head down and you will see the box and a small drain type hole, give a good squirt of WD through the straw and all could be well.
AO Silver Member
County: -
I've recently had to have a power steering fliud pipe replaced. There was a large fracture in the pipe where it had been wearing against something. Although the hissing that accompanied this lasted 5 minutes before a complete failure of the power steering. It may be you have a smaller leak which hasnt shown yet. The noise would certainly appear to eminate from the dash. The pipe was replaced as a cost of 200 (labour charges due to the position of the pipe. It is important to note that there was still fluid in the reservoir so only looking under ther car revealed the leak which traveled along the sub frame to the front nearside of the car.

Der Teufel
Nate per vincere
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
May be check the power steering fluid level.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , snake