The broken door lock dilemma - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 27-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire
The broken door lock dilemma

I could really use some help/advice with this one please as Iím stumped...

In a nutshell, how do you replace what I suspect is a broken driverís side door lock when you canít open the door from the inside or the outside in order to remove the door card? Pulling on the door pin doesnít work and Iíve even managed to get hold of the Bowden cable (by almost trashing the door card) which looks horribly stretched, but pulling on this still doesnít unlock and release the door?!

I shouldíve known better after six + years of ownership but I very foolishly tried to open my driverís door from the inside when the lock had frozen up, the handle made a sickening crunch and now just flaps around wildly. Itís guaranteed that the flimsy bit of coiled wire that keeps the handle taught has broken but now that the lock has defrosted I still canít open the door from outside or inside as the master key which usually turns approximately twenty degrees anti-clockwise to unlock now only turns about ten degrees before hitting an obstruction.

My GTV obviously doesnít want to be driven because as soon as I unlock the passenger door, which is now my only way of getting in or out, it immediately locks the door again. Iíd be grateful for any advice as having to clamber over the transmission tunnel every time has got old really quickly.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

No easy answer, I''m afraid. I managed to break the actuating arm on the lock but did it with the door card off so at least I could get to it to remove and repair. The door clearly thinks its still locked which is why it tries to re-lock. Presumably the remote won't work......
I can't think of any way other than removing the card while trying to do as little damage as possible.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
You can remove the stuck on trim in the middle of the Card and then cut a hole in the Card itself. This may give you enough room to get at the Lock and levers. The trim can then be glued back on to cover the hole.

Hardly ideal I'm afraid but I've nothing else to offer.
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Wind the window down and see if you can access the actuating levers with a bent coat hanger or similar.
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

I would try pkr's idea first.

See if you can move the link or lever between the outside key cylinder and the door latch. It could be bent or over-centred by what you describe.

Even accessing the door insides you would probably need to remove the glass to get to the outside key cylinder. This maybe not possible with the door closed or at least very tricky.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 28-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire
Thanks guys for your time and advice, strangely enough and with what seems to be absolutely no apparent reason the central locking started working again last night and I can now open the drivers door from the outside. The locks are still bouncing but instead of the car locking itself all the time it's now unlocking both doors.

Anyway, at least now I can get in and out of the car in a more civilised manner and will hopefully find the root of the problem this weekend.

AO Member
County: -
I fixed my bouncing locks a few days go, see my post concerning this problem :

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

broken , dilemma , door , lock