gearstick - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

got into the spider yesterday and gearstick became very sloppy its a 1996 2.0ltr twinnie is it a case of linkage bushes or could it be worse it feels like something has gone directly under the gearstick any help welcome thanks
Sponsored Links
County: Greater London

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 Q2

Hi Mick,

Any luck with this?

I had something similar on mine before Christmas. The ball and socket joint on the base of the gear stick had come loose, so the stick was not connected to the arm that pulls the cable and allows you to change gears. Resulted in the stick being floppy and me not being able to get out of 5th (I was driving at the time)!

You can easily enough unbutton the gaitor on the gear stick and pull away the plastic around the base to get clear access to the bottom of the stick and have a look around.

I got the AA out to lever it back into place as I was at the side of the road and since then it's been OK, although there is a bit more play in the stick than there was before. I am planning to get it looked at during the upcoming service.

Anyone else had this before?
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 17-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
found the problem the control tie rod on top of the gearbox has popped out looking at it it looks like it should have a clip on it going to get a new bush and clip

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider