V6 Clutch vibration absorber thingy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 06-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

V6 Clutch vibration absorber thingy

Dont know what its called really , but its the diaphragm damper thingy between the slave and teh master cylinder on a V6.

Is it really needed? I am assuming it was installed to remove vidrations getting to the clutch pedal?? if so not sure whether it is needed and whether it just slows down the disengagement of the pedal to the clutch.

I will be soon removing the old clutch and upgrading to a lighter flywheel and GTA clutch but I have a nagging doubt to the usefullness of the damper.

Anyone removed it or have any opinions on it?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Western Cape
John, this is called the Dual Mass Flywheel. It is very heavy and does as you say, reduce vibrations but not just to the clutch pedal, also engine vibrations. It is very worthwhile to upgrade to a GTA clutch as your engine will become more responsive and rev more freely, but you may perceive a slight loss of torque at lower revs.

search on this forum for Dual Mass Flywheel or DMF and you should find several posts of people who have doen this modification.

My DMF is busy failing and I'm thinking of doing the same: Fit a lightened GTA flywheel and clutch...

Ian Lusso
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?
County: Lancashire
Having done this about a year ago now, I still think it was one of the best mods I have done to my GTV. Cant remember off the top of my head if I left the damper in or not, think I did cos I would remember removing it!

As Ian says, the car is more responsive and revs more freely whereas before with the DMF if felt heavy and clunky.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

absorber , clutch , thingy , vibration