Rear repairs to GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 26-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Rear repairs to GTV

Hi guys,

About 4 weeks ago whilst I was nicely tucked up in bed a drunk driver clipped the rear off-side corner of my mint condition 2L GTV. I say mint as it had, had a respray just over a year ago and I'd got it just right. Luckily (?) the drunk was ok and damaged his car so my that he was arrested at scene..

Question is I know insurance company will 'total loss it', but I was wondering if I can repair it. I can't up load any pictures at the moment but basically the drunk bloke smacked into hit the car on the corner, damaging the rear bumper, and more inportantly the rear quater pannel. Anyone know how easy that would be to get repaired?

Also he managed to hit my car so hard that he's wrecked the rear suspension.

Am I kidding myself that it is worth repairing (I know it will cost), or should I just go get another and start sorting it again.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Herefordshire
seems a shame but you will have to report it to insurance and soon because the other insurance party my refuse to pay if its been to long.

and maybe the insurance might not total loss it and if they do ask to buy it back at a silly low price and take the money for a new one and weigh up the costs.

but to be honest rear quater damage is normally serious because it is part of the main stucture

sorry to hear about your car
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
Its a real bummer when this happens to your pride and joy.. happened to me with a bike once.. the insurance company just saw it as a twenty year old motorcycle.. I had a fight with them and got more than there first offer..
Anything can be fixed it's just down to economics..
The good news is if it costs one pound less to repair it, they'll pay to get it fixed..
I'm not sure if these cars qualify for 'agreed value' insurance yet.. Anybody know??
AO Member
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

159 1.9Ti-alike

I bought a Fiat Coupe a few years ago that had been in a mild shunt. The car was a cat-d writeoff (not serious but insurance had opted to pay out rather than repair).

The owner of the car took the payout and bought the car back off the insurance company (for very little) and I bought it, making him a tidy profit.

The car was great and (after a respray and a lot of TLC) won its category at the Auto Italia Concours contest in 2008.

In short, I suppose it depends just how bad the damage is and if it can be economically repaired. On the Coupe I bought it was "just" a rub from a truck down the whole of the nearside. Looked terrible but a 2nd hand door an a good bit of work on the rear panel sorted it.

AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Sorry to hear about any damage to a GTV.....problem is insurance companies don't realise how valuable one is, hope there is a happy outcome to this.......
AO Gold Member
Again - sympathies for your situation.....but its impossible to judge just how viable repairs would be without seeing some pix of the damage.

Bumper won't be a problem, plenty of second-hand ones about - I've got 3 or 4 - but the rear quarter can be a major bit of bodywork to replace as its all part of the welded bodyshell...Rear suspension can be a simple bolt-off / bolt-on job, unless it was hit hard enough to break off one of the lugs on the rear suspension sub-frame. Still relatively simple to swap out the complete sunframe, but a fair amount of labour to do the job.

Only benefit you have is that you are dealing with a fluu no-fault situation - theoretically you don't need to involve your insurance company (although I'd advise them on an "info-only" basis) and claim directly off the guilty party's policy - you are entitled to be put back into precisely the pre-accident situation, so they need to either pay out for the repairs or pay you enough to replace in same-as condition - and could well be prepared to pay you out and leave you to sort your own car out - which may be a viable proposition from your point of view.

Good luck with it!

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
Sorry to hear about your car. I toss and turn at night wondering about my car. It has been vandalised before leaving it in my quiet street. Now I leave it in a busy street one block away where theres more traffic and more people. But then I worry it will get hit by a drunk driver as well !

Cant win either way ! (Wish I had a garage)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , rear , repairs