Sticky heater and center console - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

alfa romeo gtv

Sticky heater and center console

Hi guys recently noticed my centre consol and radio surround is sticky to the touch, and i can scrape the plastic with my nail, its quite soft, i havent spilt anything on it , maybe polished it few months back ,ever come across this before, what can be done,cheers
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire
There are lots of threads on here about this. It seems to be caused by the deterioration of the "soft touch" finish which Alfa apply to the trim. I have found that with lots of elbow grease, the worst of the sticky can be removed while the trim is still in the car. I used dashboard wipes and a dry cloth to soak the mess and then work at it with the wipe before cleaning off with the dry cloth.
Remedies I have read range from using oven cleaner, removing the trim (it only seems to be the bit around the heater controls and dials, and the console around the gear lever and handbrake which seem to be affected) and getting it sprayed by a body shop, to the recent possibility of wrapping the trim with a stretchable, adhesive film like 3M Di-noc.
I do like the look of the wraps, but can't decide on whether it should be carbon fibre, Matt black or Matt silver. When I make my mind up I will order some off eBay, take the trim ut and have a go myself.
Hope that this helps. Do a search and you will find quite a few helpful posts.
AO Member
County: Suffolk
As Wheelnut says, its a known problem however removing the centre console is quite easy then you can remove the original coating and spray paint any colour you choose. I did mine matt black which worked well IMO.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

center , console , heater , sticky