Newbie got Nigelupnorth,s ex spider. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-10 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire

Member car:

Spider 2.0 ts

Newbie got Nigelupnorth,s ex spider.

Hi All

Been a lurker for a few months,earlier this year i purchased a lovely 916 spider from Nigelupnorth (very nice chap) and my wife has been very happy with it through the summer months.
First major (sort of) problem occurred this week,the dreaded limp clutch pedal !!!
Searched through the well documented forums on here which i thank everybody for and went through the checklist thinking it was the clutch slave cylinder,but no wasn,t that and thought i would give Nigel a phone call after reading his posts on here.
He confirmed it had been replaced earlier this year and after further investigation it all looked ok and there was no sign of leakage around the slave cylinder boot etc.
Thought i would bleed it all and maybe there was a chance that it had not been bled sufficiently by Nigels RAC man.
However before doing this i spent an hour on here last night searching and it appears that it could (rarely) be the clutch master cylinder behind the clutch pedal,so this morning checked it and low and behold fluid was dribbling from the cylinder and down the clutch pedal.
Furthermore i now had absolutely no pedal feel at all and couldn,t get it in gear (Buggar !!)

After reading that the replacement is quite straight forward i thought i would attempt a diy fix,but then read about the access issue through the firewall and thought long and hard about struggling in my garage in minus 2 degree conditions.......I took the easy option and contacted Ferdis garage in Lytham St Annes for a quote and after a long phone chat and deciding also to have Cam belt and followers done at the same time it was decided i would tow the car in there and leave it with him.
So hopefully in a couple of days all will be well again (lets hope he doesn,t find anything else expensive) fingers crossed.

So i will report back and a great big thanks to all for the posts it really is a wealth of knowledge on here, and it was great to speak to Nigel again who still checks in here regularly.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside
Hi Mike, you bought a stunning car there, been on a few runs with Nigel and in the passenger seat, top bloke and a time warp car, enjoy and you are welcome to pop in the North West section and say hello..
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 13-12-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

Spider 2.0 ts

Thanks "Wayne dear "for the welcome,will have a look in north west section for possible meets in the summer 2011.

An Update:

Picked up the car from Ferdis (lytham st annes),top bloke and had a good natter VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!! and knows his stuff.

He (ferdi) was in raptures about the car and said that while it was up on the ramps he had a good check round and was astounded at the condition....."Itsa like a brand new "(italian accent required)
Anyway upshot was it needed new clutch master cyl.....a bugger of a job for access and glad i didn,t attempt it myself....full bleed of clutc/brake fluid and replace with new, giving the clutch a much better feel and brakes feel perfect now,
Cambelt NOT changed as upon inspection it was good as new with recently replaced metal guides and followers,cam cover removed and again was told it was perfect and like brand new which is good at 21,400 miles yes 21,400 genuine miles,so even though labour was charged i was amazed that Ferdi didn,t just replace as kit was there waiting and even more amazed that he phoned me with the good news and saving of a few quid (much needed at this time of year)
We decided whilst in to have oil and filter change and treat the old girl to new semi synthetic which was still gold on draining,the engine internals are absolutely gorgeous and clean as a whistle.
So there we have it , all serviced up and perfect and i am one happy bunny realising that the car is as good internally as externally.
Looking forward to next summer now as i think this car is definately a keeper and as we thought in genuine time warp perfect condition,

As for Ferdi,s...I would like to highly recommend him although a small outfit he gives the old fashioned feel of enthusiast based service,not just taking your money as you so often feel with main dealers.

To be continued.....
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?
Welcome to AO Mike as Wayne said, we know you have a cracking little car there, its immaculate!

Pop into the NW section, we will be sorting out plenty of stuff for 2011
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 14-12-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

Spider 2.0 ts

Thanks Gaz
Will keep checking in and watching the NWsection.....cheers
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 412
County: East Ayrshire
That is a really nice Spider , i saw it at the Penrith Multi meet a couple of years ago it looked stunning
Happy driving 4sure

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

newbie , nigelupnorth , spider