Rat in the engine bay!!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 05-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

GTV V6 24Valve

Rat in the engine bay!!!!

This week my screen wash froze and I had to defrost it and boost the wash solution to help prevent it. Next day no screen wash again so with a day spare today I popped the bonnet and removed the lower screen and wipers scuttle panel to see if I'd popped a hose off as I could hear the washer pump and smell the solution. Finally traced back to where the screen wash hose enters the top bulkhead and found something had chewed a 20mm long hole out of the sidewall, worse was yet to come as the top of the engine was strewn with chewed up apple from the windfalls behind where I park and scattered around this was loads of rat crap! Most of the fuel injector leads have had their insulating sheathing chewed and a couple were almost all the way through with lots of copper wire on show!
Repaired the hose and spent some time with insulation tape and self amalgamating tape repairing the wiring but obviously this is only temporary and the whole loom to the injectors will need replacing in due course..........Anybody had to replace this before? If so how much and where to go to source reasonably priced parts?
Needless to say I spent the rest of the afternoon removing all the windfall food source and parked the car further over the drive. Tomorrow Mr Rat can talk with the large spring loaded device which will be waiting for him!

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

A Motorbike ;)

Originally Posted by Ravioli View Post
Tomorrow Mr Rat can talk with the large spring loaded device which will be waiting for him!

my air rifle?
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

156 SW JTD 16v

We had a similar problem last year with a family of mice in the other half's Seicento. Apart from the smell of pee and little bobs dotted all around, they chewed through a vacuum hose which left the car running rough, the seats, gear gaitor and the rear seatbelts which meant it was a MOT fail. By the time we'd finished there were seven dead mice and about 40 bill to fix it.
AO Member
Give your exhaust a kick to wake the 'cat' up so it can sort things for you!
AO Member
County: Shropshire
Reading this just ruined by lunch , yeah rat fans .
AO Silver Member
County: Northumberland
A mate of mine suffered a similar situation with his Jag XK8. A mouse had taken up residence in the space next to the wiper motor. Ironic that a mouse chose to live inside a cat.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

bay , engine , rat