Temporarily siezed caliper? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 07-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
Temporarily siezed caliper?

So I took my car for a drive in the mountains today, and on the way down, I was following a slow motorbike so I spent a fair bit of time on the brakes. As I got further down the hill I felt major drag on the car so I pulled into a rest area to find that my brakes were stuck on, pads smoking etc. I hung out for a bit (thankfully there was the rest area not just the side of the road) and waited about half an hour. A car club (a few people in Nissan Zs) came and I asked them about my problem, and they had a quick look around my car but when I went to take the handbrake off, the car was rolling again with no sign of brakes being stuck, and no problems driving home. The only problem now being that my pads and rotors seem to be rather worn and may need replacing.

Is there anything that could cause this? I topped up the brake fluid before leaving, as I haven't seen the low brake fluid light for ages yet I know there has been a leak. I drove the car for about 45 minutes before this lockup happened. It is the V6 with 305mm stock brakes.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

caliper , siezed , temporarily