GTV blowing hot air in Oz - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GTV6

GTV blowing hot air in Oz

It's warming up down here in Australia and after a couple of months in the shed the GTV gets a run and nothing but hot air coming from the air con system.
I presumed it was an air con problem so mechanic has done checks on gas in system, compessor working, temp sensor on wing mirror and all ok - so we have concluded that it must be a heater issue. The symptom is the air con blows hot air and when you turn off everything there is still hot air coming through the vents.
So any thoughts?
Reading other threads ( and it it is a phase 2) a common problem is the recirculating (air mix) flap getting stuck. ( i presume there is no heater valve being a phase 2)If this is the case how have you rectified the problem? Is it the case that the phase 2 has a motor that regulates the fllap - so is it a case of replacing stepper motor? Or removing flap mechanism and fixing?
If so is this a simple job? - it seems like you can get to these parts without dismantling dash.
One last question - is this the only problem that can cause constant hot air in the system?
Appreciate any feedback on this, Cheers, David.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Devon
Had a similar problem with mine, took it for an air con service and regas. Result being no leaks, system fully gassed but still not blowing cold. Garage suggested replacing the compressor.

Before spending out on a new compressor I decided to carry out a full ecu reset, and as a result the air con now blows out icy cold when it should!! I'm not saying this will work for you but it's worth a go before spending out any cash!

Ecu and throttle reset procedure :

1. Disconnect battery for at least 45 mins
2. Reconnect battery, and turn ignition to MAR for 90 secs
3. Turn off and leave 90 secs
4. Start engine WITHOUT pressing throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins (I repeat, do not touch the throttle whilst the car is idling)
5. Turn engine off and leave for 10 minutes
6. Start the car and go for a drive, using a number of styles (eg town, motorway, thrash etc)
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
My Air Con is coldish but not icy cold like a Japanese car is for eg. Is this because it needs a re-gas or is it just the way it is. I cant believe its like that normally so Im assuming it needs a regas. Would that be correct?
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 29-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GTV6

Freds GTV - This sounds like a regas problem. I've found (in my 164) air still cool but not as cold as it was before when this has been the case. If getting regassed get them to check for leaks.
Greenhedges - I'll give this a try. It's hard to believe after all the testing weve done it could be this easy. Will let you know how we get on. Thanks for the advice.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

air , blowing , gtv , hot