Handbrake!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Does anyones handbrake work on their GTV? I've had mine looked at a couple of times and it still doesn't work. First I was told it was the rubber gaiters, then I was told it was the cable?
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Re: Handbrake!!!

Mine works. It's not brilliant, but it's OK.
AO Gold Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Same here.Works but not great on steep hills.Mind you the one in my Rover 75 isn`t much better.
AO Member
County: Bristol

Mine is much better since I had rubbers and cables replaced..... they didn't seem to tighten it eenough when they did it, so I got them to do that, and now it feels pretty strong.

No, mine neither. Just had all the brakes done and it's still not possible to handbrake the car. Not that I'd want to knacker my 18"s though...
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

Hi guys - im having a similar problem with my 2.0 gtv at the minute - the handvbrake doesnt seem to even hold the car (well it does when standing but wouldnt like to accend everest and stop on the way)

is the4 only answer replacing rubbers and cables or is it possible to tighten them?? where do you tighten it??

any advice will save my MOT fail - 25% efficiency at the mo on the hand brake test just wont cut it.

any advice welcome (also posted a main thread)

AO Platinum Member

Mine works okay at the moment...
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Hi trying to undo the adjuster which is inside the handbrake lever aperture 13mm nut becarefull not to undo to much as it will come off the threaded bar take the GTV out on road and really work the brakes then try adjusting the cable again it normally stops been a good handbrake if cable is to tight and this stops the self adjusting calipers from working leave a little slack on the cable this alloys self adjustment to work allow 4-7 notches on ratchet, ie if not working could be calipers not working on internal ratched, good luck!
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

33, GTV, Spider

Haveing problems with mine to, fails MOT only 14%, I have fitted new cables, caliper and pads, adjusted ok, I am at a loss as to what to do. any help would be appriceated.
AO Platinum Member

Are the rear discs shiny silver or a bit corroded and dark? If the discs aren't shiny-clean you could just have knackered calipers.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member
County: -

I recently got new rear discs and pads fitted and already they started to show signs of uneven wear, darker areas in the disc.

I have stopped using the handbrake altogether when parking (unless on steep hill) and over the last few weeks the situation on the discs has gradually improved.

Not sure if this means my calipers are buggered or if its using handbrake when the discs are hot that is problem.. I could get the pads refitted to see if that helps I suppose.
AO Member

Member car:

gtv ts lusso

my hand brake only just passes the mot , i have had an advisory on it for the last 3 years. Seems ok to me though so wont do any thing until it fails ....... or rolls away.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider