Tools needed for changing V6 aux belt - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Tools needed for changing V6 aux belt

I'm planning on changing the aux belt on my V6 at the weekend. I have a replacement belt, as I'm pretty sure the current belt is passed it, and intend to fit it and inspect the tensioner and idlers to see if they want doing as well and then get the parts if necessary.

I remember reading somewhere that a 15mm offset ring spanner makes changing the belt a doddle, is that right? The workshop manual seems light on info, so I'm assuming it's a case of wheel arch liner out, releasing tension to get the old belt off and the new one on - pretty straightforward really.

Other than the spanner is there anything else I should have to hand?

Anything I should be paying particular attention to when inspecting the tensioner and idlers? I figured checking for uneven wear (esp. after seeing Pud's thread about the cam belt ) and any stiffness or wobble in the rollers.

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
I am pretty sure you can do the V6 aux belt with a regular 15mm spanner or a socket.

The job is really easy, easier than a TS IMO.

Bolt the tensioners and idlers on, feed the belt around, then pull the pin from the tensioner to allow it to tension and it is job done.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 22-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Job done

Quite right symon, a regular 15mm spanner was fine, though access isn't generous You would need a very shallow 15mm socket and bar if you were going that route; a regular socket won't fit.

I slipped a short box section over the end of the spanner to give me more torque and I changed the belt myself in about 10 minutes once I'd got the wheel arch liner out. I was amazed at Alfa's uncharacteristic thoughtfulness in the hole to lock the tensioner in place; I slipped a masonry nail in there no probs.

A very easy job and definitely one you can do yourself on the driveway. My tensioner and idlers seemed fine so I won't replace them. The belt though, had seen better days
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt.jpg (70.6 KB, 2 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

aux , belt , changing , needed , tools