Car covers advice and leaving a car to sit through winter. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 24-09-10 Thread Starter
County: Midlands

Member car:

Car covers advice and leaving a car to sit through winter.

OK so i plan to not drive the GTV V6 over winter too much save to odd blast to keep her alive. So question is this, i have a garage but full of rubbish so will just cover her up.

Any good tips on best car covers to fit GTV?

Also any handy tips as i hear if done badly covering a car can be worse than leaving in the elements!!

And finally any advice like is it wise to start her up like once a week? Or just leave and carry on and foget about her till a clear weekend day for a blast.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire
I have a breathable cover for mine. Nothing special cost about 70 about 7 years ago. Paintwork good as the day it came out of the factory. I got it from:

Fill the petrol tank to stop condensation build up and pump up the tyres to a higher pressure to stop the part in contact with the ground getting distorted.

Leave the handbrake off and car in gear.

Don't go for the religious once a week start up since unless you are going to take it out for a decent run or you will flatten the battery. Idling it in cold weather also increases engine wear 'cos it takes longer to warm up to operating temperature.

I just wait for a dry day (it won't dry quickly if at all in the garage during winter once wet - plus you will be skating everywhere on a wet road with those pumped up tyres). Obviously avoid getting it wet when they have recently salted the roads, plonking it back in the garage then would be even less ideal.

If your battery is weak or you have a small current leakage then you may be best to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery anyway.

Last edited by JFK; 24-09-10 at 14:30. Reason: added link

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advice , car , covers , leaving , sit , winter