Where do I start? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 21-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Western Cape
Where do I start?

About a year ago I bought my GTV as a project car. The bodywork was all straight even though the paint job is very dull. The drive train is excellent, gearbox feeling solid. The major issues with her are:

Rear end needs flex bushes
Front shocks badly worn- I'm getting Koni Adjustables. Cost nearly the same as factory shocks.
Brakes needed replacing: I fitted race spec discs in front with fast road pads. Very good, I'm very happy with it! Major improvement.
Left front wheel bearing noisy (Stops humming when sweeping through a left-hander).
I want to fit 18" wheels and 235/40/18
I want to fit a twin exhaust conversion.
I've got Cup fenders and skirts, and am awaiting the delivery of the black Aero front scoop.

I now want to know: Where do I begin with my project?

I know I have to fit the bodywork when having her re-sprayed, and at the same time do the rear valance cut-out for the second exhaust outlet and this virtually means fitting the exhaust after the paintwork, but as far as the shocks and rear suspension goes: Do I first replace suspension bushes, then shocks?

What other mods can I have done while I'm at it? Will an induction kit (Like CDA) work with a free flow exhaust to produce a few extra horses?

Ian Lusso
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

P2 GTV 3.0

I would definitely put mechanicals before cosmetics & if rear bushes need doing its a no-brainer. Theres nothing to fitting rear shocks - just a nut at each end - so put the new ones on when putting it back together with bushes. Then do the front shocks & ride/handling will be transformed but check if you need new spring plates/pads & droplinks when you are on. Front bearing is an ok diy job & so nice when that noise is gone!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider