GTV Spider buyers guide! - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes

AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage
Brilliant guide. I will print this off tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

its a sad day

just put my gtv for sale
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieL View Post
Great piece. I have just acquired (being delivered by father-in-laws brother) a 96 Spider Lusso. Can't wait to get it, as it has been his pride and joy for 14 years. As a meticulous car enthusiast (no me, the seller) I just can't wait to see it... Yes, bought it blind since from a family member and no Yorkshire man would ever lie. (To his family..)!!
Needing to clear some space on driveway so if anybody needs part of a 2000 166 V6, please PM me.

Now I can enjoy both a 166 V6 and a Spider....
you will love driving the spider especially with the top down , you wont get over how well it handles for such an old car ! mark my words ;-)
crazycarb

A great read, just as we are off shopping this coming weekend for a spider. Cash in pocket. We are going to do a round robin over2 or 3 days looking at cars we have selected off the main ad areas. Very useful info ta.

AO Member

County: Surrey
Dropping windows

Hi I noticed you said that the windows should drop when opening the door, I have a 916 lusso from 1999 and don't think my windows ever dropped when opening the doors. Am I wrong or is there a fault with my car?
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
The earlier models didn't have the drop down feature
AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
The earlier models didn't have the drop down feature
Anyone know whether this can be retrofitted? (and no: I haven't searched the forum - lazy and extremely busy today...)

Thanks!
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Can't remember the exact details but check out pkr's April 2012 threads and should give you some insight to retro fitting the drops
AO Member

County: Surrey
I will check to see if I can find anything and will post it if and when I do! Great to be back on the forum, you guys rock!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
Can't remember the exact details but check out pkr's April 2012 threads and should give you some insight to retro fitting the drops
Much appreciated!

And here is the illustrated guide from pkr (he deserves capitals really ): http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...ctory-way.html

Last edited by Al Faromeo; 29-05-13 at 20:18.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Is this stupid or what? I have just clapped eyes on a gorgeous V6 GTV and am starting to yearn for one instead of my beautiful Brera, though I am not sure if I should be buying an older car than I already have as a daily use car.
Great guide though
AO Gold Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiebear View Post
Is this stupid or what? I have just clapped eyes on a gorgeous V6 GTV and am starting to yearn for one instead of my beautiful Brera, though I am not sure if I should be buying an older car than I already have as a daily use car.
Great guide though
Have both perhaps?
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
I am an averagely paid public service worker; nice idea though. So, my brera is my first Alfa, so I guess that means I'm hooked, addicted
I read a review earlier that said it performs similar to a TT but with much greater style
AO Platinum Member

I decided to go from GT (relatively new) + Lancia upsilon (old) to MiTo (new) + Spider 916 (relatively old).

It can be done.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
I am currently on the lookout for a GTV and this guide has been very useful on what to look for, thanks!
AO Member

brilliant thread and so helpful. I'm looking for a spider and already know about the engine issues regarding the variator I did mine on my last 156 (now thinking why I sold the cam locking tools and the home made removing tool)
one question I have is if I go for a manual hood how easy is it to lower and raise it single handed. I have a shoulder injury that may take some time to heal and may never be back to being 100%. my current car a mx5 is a doddle and my show car xr3i cabriolet is a power hood so no problem but the last thing I want to be doing is buying a spider with a manual hood and not be able to use it when I'm one my own. but I'd sooner go for the manual after reading the thread.
thanks in advance for any help.
when I do find the right car i'll post pics etc.
AO Member

County: -
Manual hood is very easy to put up/down, 30 seconds to do each.
AO Gold Member

Garage
I'm glad we bought one with a power roof. However I've not had any issues with ours yet so I'm bound to say that
AO Member

thanks for the help, i've decided that I'm going to try a find a lusso that fits my price range or wait until into the new year when i'll have more funds. that may well be my best bet thb.
AO Member

well I've managed to find a spider that falls within my budget. my original question on here was regarding power or non power hoods. the one I've bought is a lusso so has a power hood but it's currently manual only so I guess I have sort of got an in between car lol. I'm hoping that with an amount of cash and some work I will be able to get it working but if not then it's not a big deal as I've bought a car in the colour I wanted and slightly newer than I thought I may end up with. when it arrives I'll introduce myself and the spider in the newbies section.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash30 View Post
well I've managed to find a spider that falls within my budget. my original question on here was regarding power or non power hoods. the one I've bought is a lusso so has a power hood but it's currently manual only so I guess I have sort of got an in between car lol. I'm hoping that with an amount of cash and some work I will be able to get it working but if not then it's not a big deal as I've bought a car in the colour I wanted and slightly newer than I thought I may end up with. when it arrives I'll introduce myself and the spider in the newbies section.
I am a bit concerned for you. If the car you have bought has a dysfunctional power hood then I am afraid it will be much harder to raise and lower it manually than a normal manually operated hood would be because as you try and raise it you will be pulling against the oil filled pistons that help raise it under electrically operating operations. I have owned various Spiders, one was a standard normal manual hood and was quite easy to raise and lower by oneself. I have also owned a car with a dysfunctional electric hood and it was not so easy by oneself, but can be done with some physical effort. However if your present/long term physical strength is not up to normal I think you will struggle every time you raise the roof manually. Lowering it is not so bad because you naturally get help from that thing called gravity. Depending on what the problem is with the electric operation of the hood will naturally determine the cost to get it working again. My present Spider has a perfectly normal operating electric hood and for me is much easier and convenient over a manual version. Sorry if in have got you worried now but I thought you ought to be prepared. Despite this, the Spider is a wonderful drivers car and I wouldn't want anything else to drive on those nice Summer days/nights, enjoy the experience
AO Member

The power hood was an easy fix I just needed to replace the hood cover motor at a cost of just 70.00. Thanks for the advice I do realise now that a power hood is not so easy to use when not working unlike the one on my xr3i that only takes a quick turn of a key to release the pressure in the hood pump. Loving the spider at the moment with the hood up so looking forward to the spring & summer.

Last edited by crash30; 07-02-15 at 17:05.
AO Silver Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Garage
Really great thread. Only found it after buying my spider but still a handy checklist to read through.
AO Member

County: Glasgow
On the hood front; it's easy to get a power hood up and down manually...just switch the car off, this will release all the tension in the hydraulics

Now that the spider is older, if you are thinking of getting one just factor in the cost of having all the bushes in the suspension changed. The car handles like a dog once they wear.

On the whole though, I've run the spider as my daily driver and as a second car and it's reliable, fun and now a rare sight on UK roads. Nothing will quite prepare you for the wee boy crossing the road who's never seen one before and points to it like its a 200,000 Ferrari!
AO Gold Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston916 View Post
On the hood front; it's easy to get a power hood up and down manually...just switch the car off, this will release all the tension in the hydraulics

Now that the spider is older, if you are thinking of getting one just factor in the cost of having all the bushes in the suspension changed. The car handles like a dog once they wear.

On the whole though, I've run the spider as my daily driver and as a second car and it's reliable, fun and now a rare sight on UK roads. Nothing will quite prepare you for the wee boy crossing the road who's never seen one before and points to it like its a 200,000 Ferrari!
Had that before now from a few teenage girls

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
buyers , gtv , guide , spider