What's My Mate's Spider Worth - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 31-08-10 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

2.0 TS Spider

What's My Mate's Spider Worth

Ladies and Gents

Mate of mine has recently been posted to Germany short notice and left me his under-used 1996 2.0 TS Spider to sell for him. I've checked a bunch of online sites to see what it's worth and have seen the spread of prices from 1500-4000 and, being out of touch with this partricular niche car, I thought I'd try and get the definitive price from your extensive collective knowledge and experience.

As descibed above the car is a 1996 2.0 Twinspark Spider in silver. It has a good and expensive service history from (mainly) Alfa Aid of Maidenhead but hasn't been serviced for a while as it has sat on his driveway for a couple of years. Last work, 2 years and 4000 miles ago was a major service with rear shocks and clutch slave replace for 970. Prior to that was some susp work and new discs/ pads all round in 11/05 for 800. He's got a receipt for 3000(!) for rear subframe work from 10/2004 as well so there seems to be quite a good history although what relevance that would have now 5-6 years on is questionable. Just been MOT'd with a bit of rear brake work and the engine sounds good and strong. I drove it for the first time myself yesterday and after 25 years of missing out on Alfas (after a disastrous love affair with a succession of 3 x Alfasuds from the early 80s) I have to say it was quite enjoyable driving a small-engined car with a well matched gearbox. Great sound! Almost tempted myself....

Body wise, it's a 7/10 with a few parking dents all round and unfortunately a bad case of orange peel on the n/s/r wheel arch. Black hood all OK. Interior's a good 8/10 with black leather and AC (not working, probably a leak, so new compressor/drier?). Speedo's not working, it pulls a bit to the left, all bushes seem to be behaving surprisingly considering the lack of use.

So, as in the buyer's guide, the idea is to buy on history and condition, not necessarily age. Is it worth a service and cambelt change again (this was done 35000 ago in 2002 after it snapped, 1500!) prior to sale. The oil is at least 2 years old and I know I'd want it done but would it add any value? I'll probably get a smart repair outfit on the bodywork as that can be a relatively wise invetsment on a sale, any good ones known about in the Thames Valley area?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

A Motorbike ;)

cambelt etc is a must, should be done 36000 miles or 3 years, whichever is the sooner. i would do an oil change to be honest, as the twinspark engines can really suffer if not looked after int he oil dept. all in all, i think it depends what you are looking for in terms of price. people will take it off your hands as is, but at a seriously knock down price i would bet.

good luck.
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
If he wants to sell it 1K-1.4K! sorry! Its a buyers market.
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
If he wants to sell it 1K-1.4K! sorry! Its a buyers market.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

mate , spider , worth