Idle all over the place with clutch pedal pressed in - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 18-08-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: East Ayrshire

Member car:

Alfa GTV

Idle all over the place with clutch pedal pressed in

Hi Folks,

I've read a few threads regarding the idle control valve, not sure if that's what causing the problems. Any advice would be much appreciated

As the title says the idle on the GTV (2.0 twinnie) is all over the place when changing gear and pressing in the clutch pedal - it'll go from anywhere between 800 revs in neutral upto around 3000 revs when pressing the clutch pedal to engage first gear (happens between gear changes too). It'll usually sort itself out after about 10-15 minutes of driving.

What's going on? Anyone had similar experiences and got the bottom of the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Clarkson's Law: "You cannot be a true petrolhead until you’ve owned an Alfa Romeo" - The missing 1st commandment?

Signature edited - personal insults are not tolerated on
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Scottish Borders

Member car:

2.0l TS GTV

did you find the solution? My GTV ph1 2.0l wouldnt idle at all. I took what i believe to be the idle valve off the top of the throttle body, filled it with carb cleaner and blew it out with an airline. Now i have a sympton like yours, the revs pickup as you dip the clutch. Actually it's better for me than the situation before, at least i can drive it now, was dangerous when it wouldnt idle at all ( using left foot braking, covering the throttle to keep it from dying and stopping at lights with the inneffective handbrake)
So i'm guessing that the idle valve on top of the throttle body is the culprit. They are on ebay for 70quid but they are aftermarket....not Bosch original.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

clutch , idle , pedal , peddle , place , pressed