Engine under trays - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 03-08-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
Engine under trays

Does yours have one? I have recently had a struggle with mine and it took longer to take the thing off than it did to change the oil and filter. It seems the bolts and nuts especially on the sides alongside the wheels end up just spinning round and round and need a spanner on both sides, which is a challenge in itself. Other poor efforts by previous mechanics who've worked on the car meant the rear of the tray was held on by tie straps.

Anyway, my question is, how essential are the plastic under trays. I'm pretty sure they give minimal protection to the sump but I imagine that they stop a load of crud and dust from getting to the engine. Two mechanically minded people have suggested I just leave it off, but I'm a bit anal and I'm struggling to agree that it really makes no difference, otherwise why were they put on in the 1st place?

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Its a good thing to have; helps the aero, keeps the muck out of the engine bay and gives some protection when you hit a speed humpup etc. so keep it.

That said, it is a complete pain, its made of cream cheese and the fittings are no better. Don't worry about using cable ties, they are better than the original fittings. Replace the bolts along the front edge and the self tappers if you can. Also worth pop riveting the ally bit back on to put some stenght back in.

Mine was modified, before I got it, with rectangular hole below the oil filter. It means you can do a proper oil change wihout having to muck about for ages removing and replacing the undertray. 10 mins instead of several hours.

Neilly Wheely
GTV and Racing Driver
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
my GTV and the under tray parted company years ago; but its still on the 156 and is a pain to remove when doing an oil change!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

engine , trays