Has your car ever fixed itself? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 16-07-10 Thread Starter
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?
County: Lancashire
Has your car ever fixed itself?

Was on the Oulton Park track day yesterday, very good day in the end although it didnt start off exactly that way.............

as is the norm with most track days i had to take and pass a 98dB noise test. FAILED at 101dB no big deal anyway as i have a standard centre exhaust box to fit in place of my unsilenced link pipe. Cue lying under the car for 90 minutes and the start of shenanagins. 5 bolts hold the pipe on, 1 of which broke in half, not the end of the world really as it is now fitted and doesnt blow at all! Finally fitted and its time for lunch, grab the circuit marshalls for a noise retest after lunch and pleased with a result of 86dB

So there i am getting ready for an afternoon of track fun, sat in the traffic waiting to leave the pits. GO GO GO! Now i was taking it easy until i find my feet having never been round Oulton Park before so i go through Cascades and on down to the hairpin, round there and then put my foot down. Look in my rear view mirror to see Acapulco Al catching me in his 159 diseasel when all of a sudden i lose sight of him as my V6 has chucked out an absolutely enormous, gigantic, thick cloud of blue smoke cue frantic waving of black flags from the marshalls

So on a sensible cruise back to the pitlane, Co-driver Brad an myself come to the conclusion that the mighty V6 has chewed a piston ring or 2 as it is still billowing out blue smoke big time, not looking good but still sounding good and pulling well. Arrive back in pit garage, inspect and find nothing. Bang goes my day of fun and my good mood went with it too. Mooched around the pits for an hour or so with a face like a slapped a$$ and went and sat in the car, moved it out of the pit garage back into the car park and what do you know, there is no blue smoke at all. Not even a hint of it so some kind soul asked me where i got my centre box from. 'A breakers yard last night, why?'

'Do you not think there might have been a bit of oil in the silencer or something that was just being burnt off by the heat?'

Turned out to be the case and off i went for an afternoon session around Oulton Park. Happy days

I had heard of S.H.I.T. (Self Healing Italian Technology ) before now but never believed in it

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Gloucestershire
Happy days mate
AO Silver Member
County: Shropshire
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
Yep my 156 JTD had a very slippery clutch every time I booted it the clutch slipped like a very slippery thing, but now it doesn't, very strange.
that was a self cleaning procedure.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

car , fixed