Clonking from rear of 2003 GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Berkshire
Clonking from rear of 2003 GTV

Just bought a 2003 2.0 twinnie GTV with 43K on the clock after my 155 went to the Alfa gods.
While driving there is a quite a hard knocking sound from the rear.
Not all the time and not when going over a speed hump, happens when going over an uneaven road surface for example.
Sound is similar to exhaust knocking against subframe.
I've got under and given the exhaust a good old whack, but nothing.

Advice on what it could be would be appreciated.
MOT passed at end of April with an advisory of slight play in rear nearside bush.
Would 'slight play' cause that fairly hard clunking sound?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Most likely to be the rear trailing/swing arm bushes causing the knocking. Get new bushes from Jamie Porter or new arms complete, or do what most people do and get them powerflexed at autolusso as this works out cheaper but you will not get the same sophistication from these 'poly' bushes.
Mine sounded exactly the same as the exhaust banging against the subframe.. Adjusted the exhaust for plenty of clearance.. still clunking, my 'exhaust knock' turned out to be the 'upper arm rear inner bush'.. everybody said that they don't wear out.. mine did! Also worth checking the ARB droplinks by disconnecting both sides..tie the ARB up out of the way and take it for a gentle drive along a bumpy road.. if the knock is still there it aint the ARB or links. Even 'slight play' on any of the suspension bushes can sound horrible.. The cheapest option is to powerflex and do it yourself.. I did.. and am very, very happy with the result.. The Alfa Workshop/ Jamie Porter are now selling the correct rose/ball joint bushes for the lower arms.. Absolute bargain. Some argue that powerflexing negates the 'passive rear wheel steering effect' , others say is doesn't.. matter of opinion really.. never seen any hard evidence to prove one way or the other... bottom line is.. It's all down to your budget.

Last edited by jonsnapart; 14-07-10 at 13:21.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

2003 , clonking , gtv , rear