Botched DIY spider roof repair job
A few weeks ago I started having problems with the roof on my 916 spider. Having read some of the threads on here it seems that a common problem on the spiders is the gear in the motor that opens the hatch which houses the hood becomes worn and needs to be replaced.
So - I thought rather than spend 400 quid on a new motor (which is what my local alfa garage quoted me), I will attempt to change the plastic gear myself. So I purchased a new gear off of one of the guys on these forums (cheers Escy) and proceeded to fit it following the below instructions:
1. Remove the lining of the storage compartment behind the seats.
2. Now, you'll be able to see two cables coming from left and right to the motor in the centre.
3. Remember the position of the 'thing' where cables come together. (It is in the closed/lock position)
4. Unscrew the centre nut and remove the 'thing' that holds the cables. (do not remove the cables from it)
5. Unscrew the two nuts on the right. (the motor is now free to come out)
6. Pull out the motor and turn it around so that 'shiny' cover is facing you
7. Unscrew the bolts and remove the cover.
8. Replace the gear, grease it up, and assemble in the reverse order.
9. Don't forget to put the 'thing' that holds the cables in the same position as it was.
The problem I had was with stage 4. The 'thing' would not budge because the cables were so tight. So stupidly I half opened the hatch which loosened the cables and out came the 'thing' which reveled the motor. I opened up the motor and changed the gear. Then I refitted the motor and replaced the 'thing' which the cables screw onto.
This is where it all went **** up........
Having re-fitted all of the components the cables were still slack and the hatch half open. I pressed the button which initiates the 'roof up' sequence. As expected the roof came all the way up. But the hatch didnt close fully and there was a 1 inch gap which meant I had to press it down with my hands and use the manual button to screw the back of the hood in place.
Now the cables are slack when they should be tight and when I press the button to initiate the 'roof down' sequence noting happens.
As you have probably guessed, im no expect when it comes to these things. Im guessing I now have to take it to an alfa garage and get them to tighten the cables and plug a laptop into the car computer and re-set the roof sequence.
What do you guys rekon?