Electrical wizard required: Wierd hood and handbrake light behaviour - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Electrical wizard required: Wierd hood and handbrake light behaviour

My handbrake light is still on (before you say it.. the fluid level is fine). It doesn't appear to be the handbrake light switch - setting and releasing the handbrake actually changes the brightness of the handbrake light suggesting the handbrake switch is working and creating an extra feed for the light.

What is very odd is that the hood operates regardless of the handbrake setting. It is not supposed to operate unless the handbrake is engaged. Yet it seems the handbrake light being illuminated (through other means) deactivates the safety mechanism - I can't believe this is how the system is designed as it means just having low brake fluid switches off the hood safety mechanism!

Or is that a bad assumption on my part and it's a design flaw? I've been pouring over the wiring diagrams and light and hood safety signal are closely tied but I can't tell if the light being illuminated would supply the consent signal to the hood control unit.

Does anyone have a copy of the wiring diagram and the expertise to work out this conundrum? If this is not 'by design' then I may just have a short somewhere.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
I would suspect the level indicator is faulty. New (secondhand) cap worth trying.
Originally Posted by Mitch166 View Post
I would suspect the level indicator is faulty. New (secondhand) cap worth trying.
When this fault started I checked this switch - it was OK! Also I omitted to mention that the ABS light was on. Both the owners manual and the workshop manual state that only the handbrake warning light is supposed to illuminate when the fluid level is low.

So the fact that the switched seemed OK and the information suggested other problems meant I didn't bother to check it again.

It was an intermittent problem at first so I must have checked the switch when it was working

Anyway.. seeing as you mentioned it I decided I might as well check it again. And lo! and behold it is knackered! I shorted the connector with some tin foil and both the ABS light and handbrake light have gone out (and yes they both come back on if I take the tin foil off )

Lessons learned:
1 - Intermittent electrical faults are a complete nightmare
2 - Never believe any technical manual that has been translated from Italian
3 - Yes, having low brake fluid level really does circumvent the hood/handbrake safety mechanism!

Thanks mitch for reminding me to re-check the simple things
OK.. it's definitely not the brake fluid level switch.

Last night I shorted the contacts on the fluid level switch connector and the lights went off.

I double checked by connecting back to the fluid switch as normal and the lights came back on again.

I put the disconnected again and put the short back in place and the lights went off again.

Logically this would suggest the switch? Ah yes well, this is an Alfa so Logic can just ****** right off. This morning the lights are back on.

C*** of a f****** ***** piece of **** **** ABS system. Don't need it, don't want it! Got to fix it for the MOT

So back to the original question.. what's it doing giving consent to the roof mechanism???
Latest symptom: Now sometimes the ABS light will go out after it's 4 second self test after turning the key (but not starting the engine) then after a few more seconds it will come back on all by itself without touching anything.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

behaviour , electrical , handbrake , hood , light , required , wierd , wizard