Silly air con question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 30-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Silly air con question

I've probably already answered my own question but just want to make sure.

My air con isnt working.. Well, its not blowing cold air but the little light on the air con button sometimes just flashes.

I've got it booked in at my local garage to get it re-gassed so i'm guessing the problem is that its just empty?

Am i right in saying this? Or could it be something else?

Advice would be helpful as it's going into the local Vauxhall garage near me as they've always been helpful but they said they cant do any repairs on it if broken (obviously) I just dont want to waste their time.

Cheers Matt
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside
Worn seal maybe.???...
AO Member
County: Western Cape
I would start by testing the on/off switch on the centre console. The switches for the aircon and recirculating function are flimsy, and I have had a lot of problems trying to repair them. Only option is to replace.
Fortunately the switches can be replaced without removing the centre console. And the switches can be swopped, and the knobs changed, as they are of similar design.
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Before any more diagnostic, have it regassed. The garage will know how much gas left in your loop before regassing and he should be able to do a quick test to detect any major leaks. At this stage, you'll know if you AC is working or not with the loop filled up If yes, test your AC every weeks to check that it's not loosing gas (if cold = gas left, maybe not full but enough) and it will lubricates the loop to avoid expensive repairs. If still not working, you'll need mover investigation, and as Andricus said, it can be time consuming and depends how much you need it
AO Member
County: Surrey
I thought a flashing A/C light was a sign of a failed sensor. I'd investigate if that's what it means (on here) before getting it regassed.
AO Member

Member car:

I afraid I don't think the gas and the light are connected.
Re gassing is quite common on all cars: Worth doing but take a look at all the pipes before spending money. You can often see a blue/green stain from the lubricant indicating a leak at a union or a fractured pipe, which is well worth fixing before wasting money on tests/gas. The compressor is easy to spot and should be pretty clear if its cutting in and out.
The light should come on when the system is active, even if it can't push out any cold air due to the absence of gas. Could be a duff sensor or a duff switch. The sensor is behind the radio panel and it is worth carfeully blowing the fluff out of it but you may end up replacing.

Neilly Wheely
GTV and Racing Driver

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

air , con , question , silly